GOOD LUCK ON YOUR EXAM 8

Exam will be administered in a window from 19 NOV to 31 DEC 2020.

THERE SHOULD BE NO DISCUSSION ABOUT THE EXAM OR THE TOPICS THAT MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN ON IT DURING THIS WINDOW.

Violations of the above will result in having your posting privileges suspended for a time.

You may discuss your feelings about the exam and the topics you found on it. HOWEVER, the CAS has asked that you not share/discuss the actual items. The area is locked from creating new threads; but you should be able to make replies to (unlocked) threads.

After 6am EST on 1 JAN 2021, discussion around the answers y’all came up with aren’t going to be explicitly moderated, nothing should be posted that alludes to what the actual question/problem actually entails. Doing so may result in undesired consequences from the CAS.

Just a reminder, the window opens today, so no more discussion on Exam content.

The section is closed temporarily, but I’ll open it back up later today with a thread y’all can post your frustrations in.

Good luck to all.

Hello guys. New to the forum, actuary based in Asia. I am waiting for my exam 7 result which is taking forever. I started studying exam 8 in the meanwhile, trying to figure out which study material to buy … heard that TIA is the best for exam 8 ? Appreciate your advice here !

P/s: I am not too optimistic about my exam 7 result, but still have slight hope that I can fly by with a 6.

I used TIA for exam 8 and it was outstanding.

Did you use TIA for 9 too? The source is apparently quite good for that.

Thank you amp !
I will go with TIA then, provided that I pass exam 7… haha
Seems like exam 8 syllabus is is much shorter than exam 7, what do you think in term of the difficulty ?

"Hello guys. New to the forum, actuary based in Asia. I am waiting for my exam 7 result which is taking forever. I started studying exam 8 in the meanwhile, trying to figure out which study material to buy … heard that TIA is the best for exam 8 ? Appreciate your advice here !

P/s: I am not too optimistic about my exam 7 result, but still have slight hope that I can fly by with a 6."

TIA is very good, but if you can afford a second study aid I highly recommend Crystal Clear for all exams that it’s available for. At least for my style of learning, CC is the highest quality I’ve come across in my exam career.

@sylvos, note that you can “highlight” (a la selecting) as part of a person’s post to see a “quote” button show up. Click that quote button and it’ll populate in your message box.

To multi quote: just scroll up/down to the other posts and repeat.

the selected quote will appear where your cursor is located . . . and the “quote” and “/quote” tags need to be on their own lines for the formatting to take effect in the post.

In my opinion exam 8 has the hardest material out of 7-9 even though there’s the least amount.

I had a boss who never touched a study guide and had a perfect record. IDK I can just never be so pure one way or the other :laughing:… do you do all the TIA-created problems then, or just past exam problems and really get in the weeds on the study guide? Or all of the above but just all TIA?

I essentially memorize the entire TIA study guide. I’ll do some of the past TIA problems, but I spend the majority of my time doing past exam problems. Usually when I feel like there’s something that’s easily testable that hasn’t been asked historically is when I’ll focus more on the TIA problems.

Your boss is probably way too smart to be an actuary… should be a mathematician or something haha …

He was insanely disciplined. Would read every word of every thing and make sure he understood it. He also described only rarely doing practice problems. If he didn’t understand something he’d just reread it. I tried that for a while on my first attempt at 5. That most certainly did not work for me :laughing:

I have a post in a 9 thread outlining why I would read the source, and why I think Crystal Clear + Rising Fellow is the best bang for your buck, if that helps.

If I was a study material maker I’d be giving away a free section or two during this waiting period… seems like a good way to build goodwill and make extra sales

Source is mostly good. Won’t be enough.

The issue is that the questions are really really hard. Crystal Clear does a good job trying to deepen your knowledge of the syllabus.

RF doesn’t do a great job of that, but does go through some of the harder calculations and make them easier to understand in section D.