Girl Scouts

Makes sense, will definitely do a bit of research on troops and on Scouts BSA/GS.

1 Like

I will concur with @Vorian_Atreides for a typical meeting. We would also have fundraisers, including the (very overpriced) popcorn but also things like an annual hot dog stand, and we made a float each year for a parade in our town.

I was very soured on the Boy Scouts after getting my Eagle and quitting early - they were pretty rigid on requiring a belief in a higher power and, depending on the troop, either kicking out homosexual Scouts or turning a blind eye on bullying. I think they have gotten better. Officially they definitely allow gay Scouts, and I think they now allow gay Scoutmasters but not sure on that.

I think that the Venture Scouts were a cousin organization for 16+(?) that were a little more serious, like going on supervised 3-day canoeing trips, if your child ends up being interested in that kind of stuff. I think they also go up to 26ish years old instead of the BSA 18. I wish I’d done that, but ah well…

Venture Scouts is a co-ed program as well. One can still earn Eagle Scout in the program, but has to do so before age 18.

Other older Scout programs (both have been co-ed): Varsity Scout (for those interested in sports) and Explorers (oldest program for older kids).

1 Like

There are some parents who stay and others who drop off. Since we’re a multilevel troop, some parents have multiple kids in different levels, so they may be there even though they’re helping with a different level.

Other than the awkwardness of having the “it’s not you, it’s me” conversation, it’s pretty easy to move to a different troop if it’s not a good fit. :laughing: I don’t know if it’s the same for every troop, but the beginning of the school year is pure chaos for us. Enrollment is all over the place and some parents have trouble using the crappy website (probably Council specific). You may want to talk to several leaders and see what they say about their troop. If you like the leader, you’ll probably like the troop, especially the younger the girls are. We have information sessions around the start of school where several troops are represented, so that might be something to check for in your area.

Dads are absolutely welcome to participate. Dads can officially volunteer (banking, driver, etc.) and can even be leaders. Our camps have “Dad and Me” weekend camps.

2 Likes