GH-Specialty Fall 2020

Well, I got a 3. I’m just happy it wasn’t a 0 or 1. I knew walking out of the exam I didn’t do well. Just too many questions on obscure topics that I hadn’t studied.

also got a 3.

I studied for 5 weeks. I thought I had a good grasp on the core topics. Then they ask crap like LTD reinsurance. I feel like about 1/2 the questions were on non-core topics like this. I recall reading the exam when it started and knowing the outcome already. But thats the process, excuses dont help me get my FSA.

back at it for the spring. Ill prob start studying again early Feb.

I got a 5 and I think I must have been pretty borderline because I was feeling pretty good about my submission.

Does anyone remember when they release the score breakdown on our transcripts?

oof, 5 is the worst. Sorry to hear that. But you should blow away the spring sitting I hope.

I think its like a week after results come out. Maybe Thursday or Fri this week? ime, there isnt much value in the detail… all it does for me is at least confirm they graded all my questions.

2 Likes

I’m disappointed they don’t do grades per question anymore. That would be more useful than those stupid percentiles.

Lucky to pass with a 6, thought my submission was strong enough for an 8 or 9. This was definitely an obscure sitting, past exams were way more straightforward over key topics.

Do you mean they don’t do the breakdown by question on transcripts anymore?

They do breakdown by question but it’s not a grade it’s a percentile

effectively proof that they graded your answers. A way to get closure on the exam sitting.

before CBT, it was always a fear that one of your sheets would get lost in the shuffle.

Breakdowns are up. I see what you mean now and I agree, I wish they’d still release my score by question instead. I received about 0.92 on 2/6 questions, 0.80 on 2/6, and 0.25 on 2/6. It’s really not helpful unless I know how everyone else scored as well. A 0.92 on a question where the median was a 9 is obviously a much different story than if the median was a 2.

Yup, it provides you with minimal value outside of rough feelings like “i thought I did well but apparently everyone else did better on that one so I need to be even stronger in my responses”

Despite them saying a weighted average won’t tell you your grade, I do calculate it to get a rough estimate and I increase 5 points. I’m 99% sure I passed C but did just poorly enough on A to drop my overall performance to a fail. UGH

I got a 3 and here’s my breakdown:

1. 79
  2. 23
  3. 74
  4. 90
  5. 14
  6. 11

My 5 was:

1. 92
  2. 94
  3. 79
  4. 25
  5. 82
  6. 24
    Do you remember any specifics about your answer to number 4? I think I remember feeling relatively confident in my response to the qualitative portion and less so with my calculation but the 0.25 surprised me. I thought my answer about more antiselection in individual disability was pretty good for 4(a).
    I knew something went wrong in my calc for #6 and I ran out of time to correct it. Apparently the poor performance on those 2 was enough for a 5 :frowning:

1 24
2 70
3 16
4 90
5 48
6 29

dont know what to take from this. pretty much just gibberish.

I skipped studying the ACO and ORSA sections due to time… ouch.

Then they ask a PLRS question? I honestly didnt know that was in the material. that was on the GHC exam back in 2018 when I took it so I got some points.

This exam isnt always this dumb is it?

I remember being super annoyed by the PLRS question as well. I remember while studying I skipped that formula because surely they won’t ask about it.

I don’t remember what I did for #4. I went back and reread the question (first time since the exam) and it’s not really sparking any memories. Whatever I did worked though! Too bad you can’t take this exam with a partner.

My 5 was:

1. 68
  2. 84
  3. 95
  4. 29
  5. 57
  6. 79

I wish they gave us scores still instead of percentiles. All this does is make me feel like I did pretty well, not sure why I didn’t pass. My only percentile below 50 was also the smallest question.

2 Likes

Solutions are posted. I was most curious about question 4b on choosing a reinsurer, because I used the “alternative method” they mention to calculate that all four reinsurers would be expected to reduce net claims costs (which is absurd – why would a reinsurer write a policy with a negative expected value to them?), and it turns out that that was correct…

I had a 4

1: 52
2: 23
3: 65
4: 43
5: 41
6: 79

I got a 4 also. Added in my completely uneducated guess of what the percentiles translate to - combination of looking at the percentile and trying to remember which ones I knew well.

Question Number Percentile Guess Score
1 52 2
2 70 5
3 65 5
4 65 3
5 66 3
6 24 3
100% 21

Guess of the total percentage I got: 52.50%

Heck, that formatting worked out well! Doing all of this on my cell.

I’m thinking 70% of the total score was probably pass (i.e. a 6 overall)