Future Diversity of the Oscars discussion

That was my major issue with the Hollywood mimiseries. it acknowledged some, but treated it like it was all gone by the 50s

I always felt Shakespeare allowed for more mixed casting. Can you deny a race from playing iconic roles?

Hamilton is not history, it is experimental theatre, I have no issue there either.

:iatp: x 100

Was going to say Othello or Shylock, but then remembered Laurence Olivier (in blackface :face_vomiting: ) & Al Pacino, among others.

A lot of Europeans are racially ambiguous by appearance.

But let’s not pretend Hollywood hadn’t been casting white people to play Asian roles in the past for whatever reason.

Yeah Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany’s was especially cringeworthy. To be fair, a studio that attempted that (particularly the negative stereotypes) today would quickly be canceled.

Natalie Wood as a Puerto Rican in West Side Story was considerably less awful, but it would’ve been nicer to see that role go to an actual Hispanic actress. Especially given that the ethnic differences between the two lead characters was a crucial point in the plot. And… they were both played by non-Hispanic white people. :roll_eyes:

Emma Stone in Aloha was just 2015.

She was not very convincing as Allison Ng.

Somehow Columbia(Sony) Pictures is still around…

I would say it was only less awful because she didn’t do a caricature of a Puerto Rican.
It was on par with laurence olivier as Othello, as the both darkened their skin for the role to look like another ethnicity.

That is pretty freaking disgusting, imo.

:iatp:

It would be pretty hard for something not to be “considerably less awful” than Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Doesn’t mean it’s not bad, though.

1 Like

Will Smith has a trophy now and he may lose interest after he’s kicked out of Hollywood

Yeah, I would agree with that.