Forum Anonymity

It came to my attention this morning: “when we sign up on the forum, particularly through Google, looks like our IRL name gets attached. Look at the profile of some of the users, you’ll see that.”

I just changed the forum settings to “hide real names everywhere”. So if you see your or someone else’s real name here, please let me know. I love the flexibility we have with Discourse - but it’s a learning curve for me to admin!

Thanks again for all who are giving it a whirl!

1 Like

I also just checked a setting that says “Allow users to switch to anonymous mode”

IDK what that means but I would assume it makes it easy to post without any identifying info if you choose to.

1 Like

Click on the icon of your name in the upper right, choose “profile”. you can choose “enter anonymous mode”

1 Like

same process, “exit anonymous mode”. Pretty quick, but it’s not quite a checkbox next to your post that you can hit just before hitting that reply button

1 Like

Well - and anon mode makes you anonymous also to the mods - so I don’t think we want that.

1 Like

Someone try now and see if you can see others’ e-mail addresses or other personal info. I can’t see them when I’m logged out.

1 Like

I never saw emails but the names are gone.

1 Like

Hmmm, I don’t see the on/off for anonymity options in my profile.

Obviously, I’m not worried about being anonymous… I just want to see where this option is.

1 Like

Sounded like Serena was going to shut them down.

1 Like

Yes - we very briefly had the option to post completely anonymously - but quickly realized that left us WAY to open to trolling. Even I couldn’t tie an anonymous post back to anything - not even IP.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the info.

1 Like

I’m testing a new feature called “Impersonate User”.

1 Like

Ok, that’s cool … Admins can “pose” as other users (why would we ever do that???)

And now how do I get back?!?! :rofl:

1 Like

Back! Had to log out and log back in again. What a silly feature.

2 Likes

Welcome to GoActuary!

This site will take some getting used to. I like that regular posters can change thread titles and move stuff around. I think…

1 Like

That IS a silly feature. I don’t know that I like it.

1 Like