Fishing with nerds

2 Likes

Awww, that poor guy needed his asthma inhaler. His asthma must be reeeeeal bad…

1 Like

They’re actually not students anymore I guess. I met them some years ago when they came winter camping with me. They’ve been out hunting, camping and fishing with me a bunch, they’ve both graduated this year.

I’ve taken students to this particular piece of crown/public land three times in the past year, and Everytime we’ve met the same couple that are local up there. They’re always so great to us, sharing their fish, we have campfires.etx. they know a lot of the kids names now and we’re happy to see these guys. They own a 40 acre parcel of land up there and they invited me and as many students as I can bring, up to camp on their land next year.

Anyway, I’m exhausted lol. That’s a long drive.

Remind me not to have students try and help clean up camp when they’re stoned. They’re like zombies. They just completely stop dead unless I’m yelling exact instructions to them.

1 Like

Frank. Frank. FRANK!
Get the dog. Frank, get the dog.

Wut?

FRANK GRAB THE DOG!

Wut?

1 Like

Saturday I’m taking 12 students fishing. Think of.me when you’re relaxing this weekend, I’ll be dodging hooks and untangling lines.
My pumpkins that grew randomly in the garden this year are ready. Neighbours kids have picked all they want and I still have a half dozen. So next week I’m going to have a few students over to process them. I’m thinking we make some pumkin’.muffins, some pumpkin pies, and put the rest into paste for the freezer.

2 Likes

Roasted pumpkin seeds in a couple flavors too!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, we’ll be doing that,though I don’t know these ‘couple’ flavours you’re talking abut.

Anything you want: cajun, BBQ, garlic salt, cinnamon+sugar,…

White boy, no spice.
There’s a shawarma place locally, they offer you your choice of 1 to 10 lines of hot sauce. Buddy asks me how many lines. I point at my face and said “how many lines do I look like”. Buddy: 1/4 line for you!

So go garlic salt, rosemary, and cinnamon sugar

I’ll have to look up some recipes. One the students coming is Indian and we’ve had to have the talk about spice levels before lol. Probably have to do separate batches.

Talking with the students on discord about fitting 10 people fishing on one pontoon boat, and got this in response
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1151609171666534470/1159625622948167791/head-boats.webp?ex=6531b485&is=651f3f85&hm=5e62246773ea40f10c74551a5977a8ee28b6a81acc4be194fc6310a76edcc89b&

The company that manufactured my boat is supposed to be mailing me some swag for the students. Wasn’t in the mail today, hopefully tomorrow.

Abso freakin lutely unhinged today. We caught almost 200 perch. Most of them Jumbo’s. Lotta new friends and a lot of lulz.

1 Like

2 Likes

So I’m planning a student trip to the bay of Quinte. In November all the walleye in lake Ontario head there for the winter. It’s pretty renowned as a place to catch trophy class walleye in November December.

It’s gonna be colder than hell. Could be snow or sleet. But hey, fishing amirite?

Also as is typical, overfull again. I asked for two people, got two people, then a third was like pleeeeeease? So now it’s three students lol.

I need a bigger boat.

2 Likes

The fish are that big???
(Cue “Jaws” scene…)

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-telus-ca-revc&sca_esv=575636973&q=walleye+bay+of+quinte&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwicoa7ssIqCAxUhFjQIHXhLC8EQ0pQJegQIBhAB&biw=412&bih=783&dpr=2.63

But mostly so I can fit more people.

Absolutely crazy.
One of the students I’ve taken on my fishing with nerds trips is working at a startup. They need insurance. He called me lol. Cool.

What a mess. have planned to camp overnight friday night with some students, then go fishing on Saturday. There’s a bay here where the trophy walleye winter, they’re there now but you have to fish end of november.
Weather is looking like minus 12 friday night and -4 saturday. Way too freaking cold for a tent imo. So now last minute I’m trying to get the students to bump to camp saturday and fish sunday when it’s ‘warmer’. And of course, one of the students can’t make it because they have commitments on sunday.
Dammit. I don’t want to sleep in a tent at minus 12. What’s worse, Ihave a sleeping bag that will do that temp, but of course the other student doesn’t have a sleeping bag so they’re borrowing it. My other sleeping bag isn’t rated for that low temp.
Relevant annoyed thought, I did have another low temp sleeping bag but of course my son has taken it somewhere and never brought it back.