Fall 2022 Exam 8 Thread

I’m not sure what was missing since I don’t have last year’s either, but I heard it was heavy - several hundred pages - more subtables?

Yeah I think that was it.

Wow, I wish I knew about this message board earlier than a month before the exam. Ever since Actuarial Outpost was wiped, I haven’t been able to find a good one.

Studying for Exam 8 using TIA right now for the first time, but was wondering if anyone was using Battleacts for this exam?

I am, and I think whenfcas also

I doubt you are gonna find a ton of activity here either though :sweat_smile: I don’t know where all the AO people went

I"m actually not using battleacts. I decided to go with RF and CC instead as supplements. I haven’t used CC much at all, not sure if I’ll have time for it.

It is a bit disappointing that this thread doesn’t have much activity like it did last year and for Exam 7.

I think BA is fantastic for the learning phases. I’m no longer climbing the ladder though since there is only ~3 weeks left, and my time could be better spent elsewhere.

It’s October, how’s everyone feeling?

i’m feeing far from being prepared

Yea i just finished up my 2nd pass through and still feel like i have a long way to go. That’s pretty normal for me, but still would like to feel a lot better

I feel you guys. It’s like I can’t review enough for this exam.
Doesn’t help some of the questions asked during P&P, were really not part of the syllabus.
My plan is to review more before hitting practice exam during the last week of the month.

I feel each practice exam would take me ~ 4 days in real world time, given how much other stuffs that is going around me IRL

Not that I’ve started anything yet

1 Like

I remember going through the past exams last year and just feeling miserable doing 2018 and 2019 (even more miserable taking the real thing). I think it’ll be smoother this year given I’ve looked at those questions while studying.

1 Like

Agree 18 and 19 have gotten harder. As much as I’d like to say the real thing is easier, I haven’t been able to pass one yet so…

Yea I also think those years were harder than previous. However, looking at the pass marks, the CAS did grade it that way at least for 2018. Lowering the passing score by like 5 points.

Just something to think about when going through that one.

First time studying for this exam. Was really hoping to have one month to review and do practice problems, but I’m still going through the material for the second pass. The second pass is mostly me trying to memorize what I learned in the first place, and still haven’t gotten a chance to do more than a few problems per section. Thinking of giving up everyday :smiling_face_with_tear:
I do generally learn much better from doing problems. Maybe I should just start with a PE asap?

This could be a really stupid question, but as I am going through problems and need to look things up (For example, Looking up EER, Z, and MSL for ISO experience Mod)

Are these tables published somewhere, or do I need to purchase the exam 8 study kit just to do practice problems with these?

Also on the exam do we expect they will be provided?

If you have an ISO account through your company then you may be able to get it. Im not that familiar with it so thats all i can say about it. If not then you need the study kit. On the exam, you will get a digital copy.

yes, they are in the study kit

If they are needed to answer a question, they are provided, in one form or another. You should know how to look them up, however.

Has anyone taken the TIA p.e? I just finished p.e#2 and was wondering how everyone else felt on it? I thought it was pretty brutal, but only left the first two parts of Q#2 blank, could not remember at all what to do for the historical exposures at current rates. Got a good amount wrong due to some good twists in the questions.

1 Like