Fall 2020 CAS Exam 9 Thread

I know how to do both 19 and 9 pm me and I can email you the answer.

Woops, meant 9; I got 19. Iā€™ll let you know, thanks! When are you sitting?

Can anyone show the Franchise value duration how it is the negative inverse derivative of:

FV = s*(k-y) cr / [(1+y)(1+y-cr)]?

Okay so its negative inverse of Price * derivative of price with respect to y.

Or in Panning case it its negative inverse of Franchise Value * multiplied by derivative of Franchise Value with respect to y.

Good luck to everyone! Window opens tomorrow. I take it the 23rd and just so ready for this to be over.

Iā€™m taking it tomorrow so Iā€™m off this thread after this. Good luck everyone! I hope testing centers stay open so everyone can finally take this!

Are we allowed to post tomorrow, if we are taking the exam much later. Asking questions on the material we are currently studying?

I think that if itā€™s clear your are asking about, say, how to solve question 13 from last yearā€™s exam, or what the author means on page 45, yeah, you can post. I would strongly urge everyone who sits for the exam not to post replies to any of those questions, though.

But Iā€™ll defer to VA, who is really the exam mod.

In the same vein as act_123ā€™s question: Iā€™m not sitting for 9 until December 9th but Iā€™m sitting for 7 today. If you check the 7 thread, I made a couple posts with a lot of my notes and things I think that we should know/could come up on the exam. Would I be allowed to post something similar a couple days before I take 9 or is that not okay?

The problem is that the moderators donā€™t know who has taken which exam. Now that the exam windows are open, I donā€™t know if thatā€™s a good idea. But let me bump that up to the mod forum for discussion. This is all new ground. Thanks for asking.

2 Likes

Sorry Iā€™m a bit late in responding here more directly (one should use the @ feature to get oneā€™s attention. :cowboy_hat_face:)

As Lucy points out, how do we know who has or hasnā€™t sat for an Exam? The moderators do ask for patience as they also figure out how this place works on top of how best to address everyoneā€™s needs for preparation while still honor CAS/SOA requests around Exam security.

Do know that weā€™re working on finding that balance, but it might take a sitting or two to get the balance right.

9 more days until Iā€™m sitting nowā€¦ I worked through half of the 2018 exam this morning, so Iā€™ll finish/grade it tomorrow then do the 2019 on this weekend. Iā€™m feeling pretty good about my chances but at the same time Iā€™m a bit burned out on studying and know there are some things that I definitely donā€™t know as well as I should.

So are we allowed to discuss past exam questions or sample exam questions (from TIA, CC, etc)? (I believe we can, but do the mods allow it?)

I finished CC1 today and over all I donā€™t think it was too bad, but I didnā€™t take it under exam conditions. Had a few tricky questions, that I wasnā€™t totally sure about. In general, I donā€™t like CC too much, something about it just doesnā€™t jive for me, not sure what it is, maybe its her style/format, idk.
Iā€™m going to try to do CC2 and CC3 before my sitting and also focus on some of my weaker topics.

Is it required to memorize all the forms of riskiness leverage model, variance, semi-variance, etc.?

2020-12-02T06:00:00Z
MOD COMMENT: Unfortunately, any response to this question should be vague and not delineate which ones "to memorize" and which ones to "not worry about".

I donā€™t think theyā€™ve been asked on the 2011-2019 sittings, but Iā€™m memorizing .redacted.. I think just understanding the idea behind them should be good though, like semi-variance is similar to variance but .redacted., etc.

Edit: Mods feel free to delete my comment if you think itā€™s inappropriate. I havenā€™t sat for the exam yet, so Iā€™m just saying the things Iā€™m memorizing on this topic.

2020-12-02T06:00:00Z
MOD COMMENT: Thanks for understanding. I know that its a quirky sitting and doesn't help that there is a shitake-ton of changes in place.

Unfortunately, not during active administration of the Exam. Too easy to ā€œforecastā€ what is on the current Exam by referencing ā€œsimilarā€ problems from past exam.

I made a few edits to some posts to remove content that might be construed as violating CASā€™ request around Exam security. Iā€™ve flagged those posts with ā€œStaff Colorā€ to facilitate any review; but note that no additional actions are being considered at this time.

I appreciate everyoneā€™s patience and understanding as we navigate this new space. Note that the moderators are working with CAS to get a clear picture of whatā€™s ā€œallowedā€ and weā€™re working to support candidatesā€™ ability to discussion material in a timely fashion.

Sorry. I didnā€™t mean to break the rules. Thanks VA for correcting/flagging it.

If I have a question on a particular topic, can I ask where to find additional practice problems on the topic?

Take the position of having just finished sitting for the Exam and you wanted to know where ______ was covered in the syllabus . . .

Would that be allowed to discuss during this time?

As to your specific question, could someone who just sat for the exam signal others by asking such a question? How do any of the moderators know who has or hasnā€™t sat for a particular Exam?

I do sympathize with yā€™all; especially those trying to tie up ā€œloose endsā€. And I appreciate yā€™allā€™s willingness to abide by our current expectations.