Expensive particle board

Yep, out of date. Not saying they’re not nice, or worn, but that style is not current. Same goes with your old-man handles :). And countertop.
Last year I replaced our kitchen cabinets that had pretty much the exact same style, but were in oak. I agree, they looked nice, I like oak, the cabinets were fine, etc.
You’ve also got all cupboards. Current style is far more drawers. And soft close, I doubt you’ve got that. And no power outlet.
Course depends on who’s looking. I’d look at that kitchen and think ‘Niiiiiiice’. My So would look at that and start hitting crap with a hammer.

A more current kitchen.

And while I’m at it, here’s the dining room

And the cabinets are MDF.

^^ I approve.

Though I’d probably prefer marble countertops with those cabinet colors.

So won’t do marble and I have no real opinion. But yeah, marble or stone is more current.
The nice things with laminate counter is that in6 or 7 years I canrip out what’s there and replace with a new colour for not very much money. Can, and likely will.

Also, tangent, you can see our new coffee and end tables in their larvae stage.

No, the 100k wasn’t just the kitchen, and I was not in the po. I did lots all over the house besides the kitchen: finished basement with added full bath, new roof, new furnace, new hot water heater, new A/C system (zoned), added 14kw natural gas backup generator, new cement driveway, over 250 linear feet of new 6’ privacy fence, hall bath complete renovation, and a major overhaul of the master bath that added 90 sq feet of area to the master bathroom, added 6’ soaking tub, and added a 2 person walk in shower. And I lost huge money on resale compared to purchase price + upgrade prices.

was just gonna say that piece of wood makes a good accent console table

What if I told you…

it would cost 80k…

and that’s like mid range

I don’t think the cabinets are the issue, seems more like the over all color scheme and location of the walls. They would look fine in other contexts imo. Complete open kitchen is in vogue these days too so I would think a number of new buyers will try to knock down the left side - if it’s not structurally possible they’ll still definitely ask about it.

Your realtor has their own tastes too. I didn’t listen to everything mine said or agreed with him on everything.

CS, I think you may be shopping in the wrong stores.

Do you have a cabinet shop in your area? Not a showroom where you can see cabinets made elsewhere, a large wood shop where people make custom cabinets all day long. Based on the prices you’re throwing out, I think you could get custom hardwood for less.

You might also reach out to either a general contractor or a stone guy. Lots of stone guys also sell cabinets. They might not have a fancy schmancy showroom but they will have samples.

I still remember my high school shop teacher saying , “If the salesman at the hardware store tells you it’s solid mahogany, you say ‘Bullsh*t!!! That’s mahogany veneer!!!’” :laughing:

3 Likes

I built our bookcases out of Mahogany 20 years ago. It was bitch to cut the boards and they weighed a friggin ton, but they still look great.

1 Like

Cupboards and drawers both have advantages and disadvantages. I like my outdated 1950s cupboards. And i despise soft close. We re-did the master bath, and all the new stuff is soft close. It drives me nuts.

Abundant power outlets are nice, though.

Honestly, i like @DeepPurple’s kitchen more than yours. It looks warmer to me, like a room i want to hang out in.

But the big thing is that it seems odd that people redo stuff to the realtor’s taste prior to selling. I guess many buyers have no imagination. But it seems like it would be a more efficient use of resources for new buyers to spend the money remodeling to their own taste rather than paying for the remodel of the seller.

1 Like

1992 called and it wants its cabinets back.

FTW!

1 Like

I think it looks great

What? They’re the symptom of luxury living.

Found one!

Also curious about this, I’m decidedly old school (still much prefer stained cabinets over painted) but I love me some soft close doors and drawers.

I also love the pull-out shelves in my kitchen cabinets.