Electric Vehicles

Is it 2025 in Sweden already?

I think they use the metric calendar and I don’t know how to convert.

2 Likes

Our family just increased from 3 to 4 a few weeks ago and our faithful 2010 Toyota Corolla just isn’t going to cut it in terms of space. Mama smurf is convinced we need a minivan, and I really want to go electric (plus i don’t like minivans or big vehicles in general).

We’re planning to go check out the model Y soon but I doubt it will have enough cargo space to be a good compromise. There’s also the Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid, but Consumer Reports gave it terrible reviews.

The upcoming Kia EV9 and Hyundai Ioniq 7 look like promising compromises, but I’m not sure we want to wait that long.

A friend had a Pacifica. It was perfect for them on paper. And it caught on fire one day as they were driving. They now have a different vehicle.

1 Like

VW ID Buzz.
End of story.
No, you will not be able to take it on long drives without extensive planning.

But other than randomly lighting on fire, they liked it? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Buzz still a ways off in terms of availability.

Gotta unbirth that kid for a year.

Yes, other than that, it was great.

That actually looks incredible. Can possibly switch vehicles with my brother if we want to go on a long road trip (Honda Pilot?) or try to squeeze everything into my Dad’s CRV.

Not sure if the wait is a deal breaker or not.

Four kids, plus you and your better half? Yeah, Pilot; has more space.
But if you needs something right away… eh, lease something for a year, or buy a five-year old van/SUV with the intention of trading it in when the ID Buzz becomes available.

Nope, just us and the 2 kids. Was thinking we could trade for road trips so we don’t have to worry about charging.

Oh, bad arithmetic on me.

You probably don’t need a van or SUV. We never had one during our kids’ growing-up time.
Plug-in hybrid might be the compromise you reach.
Audi e-tron.
Prius Prime (now with 220 hp), though I’d wait for the wagon version (“V”, discontinued in 2018). The one I’ve seen has little space. If your kids were going to get into lacrosse or ice hockey, there would not be enough room.

We loved our Toyota Sienna Minivan, I don’t think there is a plug in version or electric but we got 15 years out it. It fit 3 kids and all our luggage or sports gear comfortably.

If you don’t want a van, the Y is a decent compromise. The trunk is reasonably generous, plus you’ve got the frunk and the sub-trunk. Doesn’t help with big bulky items much but useful space nonetheless.

If you’re a maniac, get the Performance variant. Rip off some 12s quarter miles at the strip and then hit Costco on the way home.

Oh, check out the PlugShare website and/or download the A Better Route Planner app to get a sense for charging. I quickly discovered that from Kansas I can easily make it to the Pacific Ocean, or Custer, SD, etc pretty easily in an EV.

Here’s a list of EVs with good cargo space. We have the vw id4 , number 6 on the list, which so far we’re very happy with.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2022/07/ev-with-most-cargo-space-top-10-list.html

Robust auxiliary heating!

Just saw this thread. I bought a Tesla Model S 5 years ago. It is the most amazing car I have ever been in on multiple levels (raw power, self driving, technology, comfort, smooth ride, gas usage). I have no intention of ever buying another flip phone, I mean ICE. Happy to discuss any questions that may still be floating around.

I agree but once Mama Smurf makes up her mind, there’s no convincing her otherwise. We had a station wagon growing up, which had plenty of space to take all our stuff (plus dog) on vacations.