Dumb Excel Questions

I’m trying to print a worksheet that displays real nice on the screen, but when I print it, all the numerical columns have ########## in them!!! Do I need to widen the columns even more??? ******in’ Excel!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

ETA: Widening the column worked. Stoopid Excel… :angry:

3 Likes

Have you tried using Print Preview?

1 Like

There is no Print Preview on the Print menu (was it not there at one point in time?), but I did figure out to look at the on screen preview before I started printing.

Stoopid Excel: hey, if you’re doing a WYSIWYG print and I see it on the screen, then print the ******er like I see it!!! :rage:

2 Likes

I get it once I “print” . . . Ctrl+P brings up the dialog box asking you for what exactly you want to print (e.g., selected pages, two-sided vs. one-sided vs. multi-page layouts, etc.). There’s a button that allow you to do a “print preview” (if it’s not enabled by default).

I still don’t see print preview as an option on the submenu. :man_shrugging:

Alt-f, then w.
Yeah, you gotta order off-menu, like “animal-style fries.”

2 Likes

I’ve ordered animal style every time so have no idea what non-animal style tastes like. Maybe there’s no difference and it’s just to make me feel like I’m in the know.

NEW QUESTION…and it’s just for curiosity’s sake.
In Excel, the Symbol font, the letters V & v translate into something that looks like this:

…and the letters J & j translate into something that looks like this:

(kind of looks like phi, but that is this: image )

The rest of the letters are all Greek to me, but I don’t know what those first two are.

the first symbol is a variation of a lower-case sigma (in writing, it’s the symbol used when sigma is the last letter of a word).

IIRC, the second symbol is a variant of lower-case omega; not sure of its use, though.

The third symbol is a variant of a lower-case theta; and the fourth is a variant of the lower-case phi.

1 Like

Looks like “Greek Letter Stigma”, “Greek Pi Symbol”, [not sure], and “Greek Phi Symbol”, respectively. The last two symbols you say are Phi look like “Greek Capital Letter Phi” and “Greek Small Letter Phi”. I’m going by the Unicode Names Excel’s “Symbol” dialog box provides. Not sure what the difference between a “Symbol” and a “Letter” are…

That third symbol (from the letter “J”) I’m not seeing; it looks closest to “Coptic Small Letter Khei”, but that looks too far off.

I think the second one is for one of those old fashioned toilets where you had to sit on a plank perched over a pit.

You had to be careful that the plank wasn’t rotten and that there weren’t too many people perched on the plank at the same time.

2 Likes

Finally…someone who knows what they’re talking about

1 Like

I think it represents a fashion choice where one chooses to wear a belt, but not wear any pants

1 Like

Ass-less pants?

I have a workbook with another linked workbook. The linked workbook has a named range.

The main workbook, when opened, throws #NAME? errors for every cell referencing the external named range. It happens even if I open the linked workbook. F9 to calculate does nothing.

Only by (A) clicking into the cell and hitting Enter or (B) copy-pasting the range back onto the range can I get it to pull through the values.

Any thoughts why I get the #NAME? Google would be super helpful if the issue was a typo or that the range doesn’t exist. Since it WILL calculate when clicked into, it’s clearly not that.

Hmm. I know in the range name manager there is a indicator whether a name is a workbook wide reference or a sheet reference, but don’t know if that has anything to do with it. Does the main workbook have the same name somewhere?

There is not a name conflict, I freshly made this named range as something new.

(Edit: The scope IS workbook. It gave me a different scope when I just opened it up last… Scope: “MNLossCRL”, last time.)

So are any cells still in error, or had you manually fixed them all?

I’m able to fix them all after opening the file, but it reoccurs. I can copy-paste the range overtop itself and it calculates.

Ouch. Yeah, this is beyond my Excel chops by far. Good luck.