Do you fish?

My bride today.

And the final catch, perch from lake Simcoe north of Toronto.

2 Likes

Looks yummy. Do you freeze some?

Supper tonite and freeze the rest.

Nice! Took my almost 2yo fishing for the first time with my 4yo (who loves fishing with me all day every day). My almost 2yo reeled in several bluegill and thought it was hilarious. Also, Iā€™ve been trying to add frog fishing to my bass fishing arsenal before it gets too cold down here to do it. Last couple of times I went out, I got a bass on the frog, so I seem to be getting better at it. Nothing like when they explode on the surface for the frog.

Try a big O lure for bass. Got that tip from a semi-pro bass fisherman, been happy with it.

I went out for a bit before work this morning throwing the frog around. Landed a 7 pound, 1 oz largemouth. Thatā€™s a way to start the morning!!!

I canā€™t even imagine. A 2lb up here is a monster.

Yeah, thatā€™s living down south. The Florida largies are a bigger strain, but they are a little less aggressive than northern strain largies and smallmouths, so bites are a little harder to come by, it seems. Will be moving out of Florida soon, so will need to capitalize on the Fall transition bite before I move a little farther north.

Coming back to brag on my catch from about a week ago. 8 pound, 1 oz largemouth! Was awesome. I had just bought an action cam and was taking it out for my first time to record my catches and I caught my PB bass. Solid day.

I guess you folks catch and release?

Your water must be softer than our is right now. Bit of a hard upper crust right now.
I could go ice fishing but ice fishing is stupid. Otherwise I would go.

Stupid ice fishing.Iā€™m waiting impatiently for spring. Iā€™m planning on doing some fishing along eastern Ontario in the St. Lawrence. Looking to catch a bucket or two of perch for sure.

I was in that area some years ago and a BNB owner tells me that the area is hot for Europeans to come catch carp. Apparently the carp in England etc have been caught and released so many times they have names for them. The carp in the St. Lawrence are not so domesticated and are a better fight. Not that I want to catch carp.

wow, checked the whole thread for my response, found none, so here goes.

No, I do not fish. I donā€™t like it. I do enjoy the sitting on the lakeshore and pounding beers part. Or on a lake boat and pounding beers part.
Since my dad grew up in a city and never learned, I didnā€™t learn. I donā€™t think Iā€™m missing anything. Iā€™ll certainly eat othersā€™ caught fish.
About 25 years ago, couples friends and we went to San Diego with our small kids. Loads of fun, but one buddy wanted to go ocean fishing for the day with the guys. The gals loved this, leaving them with kids (4yo and under) all day. Spent way too much money ($100+) and time (eight hours) not catching a single fish, while contributing my breakfast and lunch as chum. No, I donā€™t do well on ocean boats, especially when most of the time is spent focusing close-up on hooking bait, then focusing a little farther on my line not getting caught on other lines, and then focusing a lot farther on the horizon so as not to toss cookies. Spent the boat ride back to SD in the front, with fresh air in my lungs and salt water spraying all over me.

Last ocean charter I did, my SO says ā€œAre there fish on that side of the boat? Are you looking at fish?ā€. Uh, no? Iā€™m honking my breakfast over the side, Iā€™m not looking at fish.

Charters are a mixed bag. Iā€™ve had some pretty bad charters, but Iā€™ve had some of the best fishing on a charter as well. Youā€™re right about it being boring if youā€™re not catching anything. Definitely have to get the right kind of charter.

Well, everyone else was catching. Just not me. Combination of not knowing what I was doing combined with not really willing to learn so fast.

If you ever go on a charter you want to stand next to me. People on my right or left seem to always win the pool and catch a ton of fish. Meanwhile,the only thing I ever catch is a buzz.

I do quite well off the beach, though, for some reason.

Yes, I catch and release. Not remotely interested in eating any of the fish I catch in ponds down here. Yes, the water is much softer where I live, which is currently in Florida. Fishing has been my therapy through the pandemic.

We catch and eat because the fish in ontario lakes are fine including the Great Lakes, but catch and release is big.
I was at a fishing lodge on the rideau water system (runs from Ottawa to the st, Lawrence) some years ago and the lodge guy was cleaning our fish. He said they get mostly Americans at the lodge, and 100 percent catch and release. Which is cool.
Iā€™ll catch and release bass, but perch and walleye, thatā€™s getting in ma belly.