DNGAF Friday

There are three people I can think of offhand who seem like “actuarial influencers”: The woman who was on Survivor, the woman who works at Root, and the guy who works at SAS. Perhaps there are others.

2 Likes

Does he still work here?! :grimacing:

1 Like

According to LinkedIn, yes. On the P&C side.

1 Like

He might be on my team :slight_smile:

I should probably stay New Jersey out of this particular conversation but that would be against my own brand I think.

2 Likes

It’s nice and sunny out today!! Hard to GAF right about now!!!

1 Like

Now I just feel dense :laughing:

Influencer by association.

1 Like

Do they monetize this somehow? I think of social media influencers as monetizing with advertising.

Can you get ad revenue from LinkedIn and Reddit?

Just curious. I was unaware of this as a thing. I’m almost never on LinkedIn and precisely never on Reddit unless I click a link by accident.

1 Like

There’s also the option of just letting your current employer pay you regardless of which job you spend more time doing WHO SAID THAT!?

1 Like

There is no monetizing directly of LinkedIn or Reddit. However, you can promote your own website/services at the expense of your own employer!

1 Like

peering at you suspiciously

1 Like

I know who you’re talking about, and of those three, I think one is genuine.

I did get a message from LinkedIn once that one of my posts was “trending”, like it was in the top 1% of engagement. That’s about as close as I ever care to be to an “influencer”. Just seems like socially accepted attention-whoring to me.

2 Likes

I don’t think you can get a cut of LI ad revenue, I would bet if you were the moderator/owner of a subreddit you could get a portion of the ads shown on that page.

Mostly these people are setting up to build their own brand which they will leverage into “consulting”, public speaking, or selling training materials.

2 Likes

I don’t think that being intentional about an online presence and being genuine are mutually exclusive things. I like to believe that they are all well-intentioned. I don’t know any of them in any real way (unless someone on here who I talk with often is one of them), so I can’t assume their motives. But I hope something that takes up so much time and energy for any person is something that they are passionate about.

Should I get out some popcorn? Trying to read between the lines, but we know how that always goes for me.

1 Like

There’s certainly a few quiet parts that I can’t say loud.

I do get a lot of insights from reading LinkedIn posts - like for example how my boss plays favorites and also how I am that favorite.

1 Like

In related news, my boss told me a couple of weeks ago that he was putting in a recommendation for my “well-earned” promotion. Hashtag favoritism.

2 Likes

Maybe you’re too modest!

Friday again. A gajillion things to do but my brain is already on vacation.

2 Likes

Hafta GAF today and prolly a good part of the weekend.

ETA: Still waiting on data. Not expecting it until after lunch.