Disinformation Governance Board = Ministry of Truth?

I’ll answer your question with a question.

Before TV, most people only had a newspaper. I wouldn’t expect that they read the newspaper everyday for 2 hours, but it was their one and only source of news/information.

The TV showed up, people might watch several hours of television a night, which contained 30 minutes of news coverage, also concentrated on 3 networks.

Before social media, people watch cable news…

Do you see a trend yet?

And don’t worry about reporting me to the DGB, they already know about this thread. :tfh:

I don’t see how a government board will prevent people from believing wacky stories. If the board takes steps to limit the information it will surely serve as fuel for those claiming the truth is being banned. Hello conspiracy theories.

Just let it go. Let people believe what they will. We cannot win this game with a govt board.

No I don’t see the trend you are trying to present. Please explain.

Here’s the white paper describing what prompted this issue. I bolded number 4 because the preliminary implementation by the DHS has sent the conservative media to go all “death panels” on it.

In its March 2020 final report, the U.S. Cyberspace Solarium Commission called on the U.S. government to promote digital literacy, civic education, and public awareness in order to build societal resilience to foreign malign cyber-enabled information operations. As the scourge of disinformation swept across the globe and expanded its scope beyond elections, the Commission decided to conduct a deeper examination of cyber-enabled disinformation and propose steps that the United States could take to begin building greater resilience to disinformation, particularly from foreign actors. While many facets of the Commission’s original strategy of “layered cyber deterrence” can be applied in the context of combating cyber-enabled disinformation, further action is needed from policymakers and lawmakers to enable the United States to better prevent, withstand, and respond to disinformation.

The white paper is the result of research and deliberation by Commission staff and commissioners and specifies seven recommendations to both diminish the prevalence of disinformation in the information ecosystem and build greater individual and societal resilience to disinformation and malign foreign influence:

• Recommendation 1: Congress should establish a Civics Education Task Force, enable greater access to civics education resources, and raise public awareness about foreign disinformation.
  • Recommendation 2: Congress should ensure material support to non-governmental disinformation researchers
  • Recommendation 3: Congress should fund the Department of Justice to provide grants to nonprofit centers seeking to identify, expose, and explain malign foreign influence campaigns to the American public
  • Recommendation 4: Congress should create a capability within DHS to actively monitor foreign disinformation
  • Recommendation 5: Congress should create a grants program at the Department of Homeland Security designed to equip SLTT governments with the personnel and resources necessary to identify foreign disinformation campaigns and incorporate countermeasures into public communications strategies
  • Recommendation 6: Congress should reform the Foreign Agents Registration Act and direct the Federal Communications Commission to introduce new regulations in order to improve media ownership transparency in the United States
  • Recommendation 7: Congress should grant a federal entity the authority to publish and enforce transparency guidelines for social media platforms

Pretty obvious why this frightens some in the GOP

2 Likes

Maybe you can respond to my post then because his response made sense???

The trend seems to be more choice in the content someone consumes with declining content moderation?

I have to admit, although it is early and based on past “well-earned” history, I have very little trust for politicians and bureaucrats in Washington DC, this currently seems like one of the Biden Administration’s better decisions (even if it’s just reversing a prior very bad decision by the Biden Administration).

Do you even know the scope of the board was going to be, or is your position entirely manufactured by anti-Biden derangement?

I thought constitutional rights only extended to people in America. What’s wrong with the government censoring disinformation that has been weaponized by foreign countries?

People have shown that this is the opposite of true. We have access to more information than ever, and we seem to have more people than every believing in conspiracies and nonsense. The disinformation even lead to the storming of the capitol building.

Back then, we had the Fairness Doctrine. It seems that misinformation has clearly gotten worse since that doctrine was eliminated.

It’s weird watching people cheer the reduction in our government’s national security abilities.

I suppose someone celebrating freedom and liberty scares some people.

Tyranny might feel safe and secure, but it isn’t.

Weren’t you just celebrating a state government taking punitive action against a corporation solely for daring to disagree with legislation?

1 Like

Celebrating the freedom of letting other countries attack us?

I didn’t know it was considered tyranny to stop a foreign government from attacking us. You and I have VERY different definitions of tyranny.

link???

You were calling DeSantis punishing Disney for criticizing him “standing on principles” in this thread:

@Ranger we know that foreign governments have been actively promoting/denigrating US candidates in social media to achieve their desired outcomes. Sometimes it’s fake news, sometimes it’s just amplifying messages.

How should we react to this knowledge?

From what I gather in this thread, Ranger thinks foreign government have constitutional rights. So we can’t do anything when they attack us. I’m wondering when he’s going to tell us having a military is tyranny.

You’re misquoting and distorting things I wrote in that thread.

Unless DeSantis lives in Orange or Osceola county, I’m not sure how he’ll be paying more in taxes. And I’m not sure how how this even applies to you quote of:

where is the celebration?

The entire thread was about DeSantis punishing Disney for daring to criticize his legislation. In response, you wrote this:

How does punishing disney “stick up for [GOP] principles”? They used to allegedly be free speech, less government intrusion, and lower taxes, but the opposite of each is happening here.

50+ years ago, when I first read the book 1984, it seemed shocking, outrageous, impossible. Now it’s too real, making the Disinformation Governance Board seem “normal” and desirable to many people.

1 Like

I am guessing you are happy that Elon got rid of all oversight at twitter and just makes these decisions now himself.