Aaa bb

wait, I misunderstood. If this is a group of managers talking about direct reports, this is fine and normal. This happens everywhere.

2 Likes

What aofan said.

At a previous job I had a chance to talk with the head of HR at an internal data science event. (Some companies are throwing an awful lot of data science at HR these days.) Anyway, we somehow got to the topic of exit interviews – turns out they had done away with them. The explanation I got was basically “Waste of time. Everybody lies. They all say it’s about compensation, because that’s the safe answer. But it’s hardly ever about compensation.”

a

at my current place, the signing actuaries meet sometimes. i think they probably talk about everyone. it’s not a big deal.

at my previous job where they had the managers meeting where we knew it was going on, one of my friends DID tell me some stupid petty shit someone said about me. that’s gonna happen. If you have negative thoughts about someone’s work, how is this even “behind their backs” though? it’s feedback on their performance. it’s up to their manager to tell them what’s said. if someone has negative feedback on a person, and it’s legit, i’d expect it to not stay a secret. they should be told.

a

oh, so they are having a meeting to compare everyone’s reports to determine raises and stuff? yeah, that’s what they did at my prior job, but everyone works with everyone else, so you would get feedback from people who weren’t your managers.

also normal. none of this seems abnormal. maybe it’s more of a consulting thing though. i’m in consulting.

sounds like a meeting to “fight” for your people to get money. still totally normal in consulting.

a

I’m going to guess your direct report will “somehow” find out how you rate them anyway. Not exactly a big secret between manager and direct report. I’m guessing you just mean it would happen sooner?

a

a

I’m not seeing why they would care. It sounds like the entire point of this is to figure out between managers how to assign raises. It seems normal to me.

a

Almost sounds like something my manager in the prior shop did, except she would openly trash talk certain of her direct reports to certain other of her direct reports for the purpose of creating conflict and in-fighting so she could sit back and watch.

In the ~8 months I was there a dozen people bailed out and every one of them made the exact same complaints with HR. Unsurprisingly, management never did anything about it because she knows teh analytics even though she never produced squat.

a

okay, if this has nothing to do with raises and it’s just a way to “bond” by gossiping about your team with other managers, yeah it’s dumb.

seems like the type of culture where excellence is not celebrated, but rather tenure.

Otherwise the tea will spill real fast if junior people are promoted to managers and still remain friends with other analysts.

Okay, that is weird. Usually, the point is twofold:

1. other people see the work your direct report does. They may have insight you don’t see, either positive or negative. You should get the benefit of that before the performance review
  2. managers should level-set, so that raises and promotions are fair, and it’s not just that the guy with the generous boss gets more.

I’ve participated in those, and I think they are generally beneficial. It’s not about gossip and sharing dirt, it’s about seeing the full picture and being equitable.

And it’s not what i consider a “bonding” event. All working together to get the presentation done is a bonding event. So is going out to party afterwards. Group performance reviews are neutral, or sometimes confrontational, as managers compete to get raises for their best people from the limited pot.

What’s to spill? Each analyst’s manager is going to tell them the result of that session. At at least, the part that’s relevant to them. It’s a pretty useless review if you don’t share with the employee what they did well and where they can improve.