Developing An Underperformer

This type of stuff is garbage. If someone is doing their job and doing it well and they want to continue doing that job, there is no reason to make up bogus stuff to make them improve upon. That kind of corporate stuff is silly. I only want to give people improvement opportunities if they are in one spot and they want to get to another or if they are underperforming the title or role they are setting in.

2 Likes

14 pieces of flair

My thoughts are that people who tend to have side projects like that have a lack of faith that the company will compensate them appropriately if they try hard. So they do the bare minimum to get a COLA each year and spend more time trying to generate passive income.

I donā€™t know how experienced this person is but I can see it happening if they tried hard one year only to get 2% and then stopped trying after that.

1 Like

Itā€™s a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I donā€™t see another dime, so whereā€™s the motivation? And hereā€™s something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
ā€¦
Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. Thatā€™s my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

2 Likes

RN

Thatā€™s not my experience at all. Iā€™ve seen people have side projects because they are engaged in the side projects. Itā€™s often not even about the money.

Engaged is the key word here. He is engaged in a lot of things. He is not engaged in his job for our company.