Derek Chauvin sentencing

looking up Derek Chauvin’s mother on facebook, and from what’s public she seems pretty normal. Most isn’t public though, and what’s public all comes to a halt a few months before the murder.

Looking at his story. His parents divorced when he was 7. Sounds like his mother cheated on his father. His father got a paternity test on his sister that revealed that he is NOT THE FATHER. Mother went to live with the dude she was cheating with. Derek wound up living with his grandmother until he was 27, so lived with neither parent. Father was a CPA.

At the time of the murder, Derek Chauvin was married. Then his divorce was finalized in February, 2021. Not sure if his wife decided to divorce him because he murdered someone or that was already in the works.

So, his life probably had some trauma. Doesn’t justify murdering someone, but it might explain somewhat the background as to why he was capable of murder in the first place.

ooooh, looking it up, and yes, it WAS the murder that prompted his now ex-wife to dump him. they separated 3 days after the murder.

She attended the sentencing with her 2 kids from a prior marriage, and the press viewed this as in support of Derek, but I’m not so sure about that. She did divorce him.

her facebook still shows her as married. she needs to update that to divorced. I’d be changing back to my maiden name as quickly as possible too in that situation. She still has her last name as Chauvin.

I remember it was floated at the time that she only divorced him to protect their assets.

ETA:

1 Like

ah, yeah, i started seeing that in my further delving into the internets, so yeah, seems like she probably does support him.

IANAL, but it would seem to me that the Floyd family should be entitled to go after any assets that were Derek Chauvin’s or his jointly held with his then-wife as of the moment of the crime. Even if they’d only put half of the assets in her name, I think those should not be shielded from civil lawsuits.

But yeah, the fact that she didn’t change her name and lists her status as “married” suggests that the divorce was on-paper only.

2 Likes

A slightly-related example. When I divorced my ex, I was covering him on my employer’s health insurance. He got some order requiring that I couldn’t drop him from my insurance until the divorce was final. My attorney pointed out that even without the order I should have covered him anyway because if something awful had happened to him then all our assets could be used to settle the bill and then I’d be left with nothing too. (That’s only a little less than I actually ended up with, but I digress.)

Seems like a similar principle should apply to a tort but I don’t know what does apply under Minnesota law.

1 Like

yeah, seems like a desperate attempt to keep assets that’s not going to work at all.

1 Like

The divorce was totally asset protection.

Got hung up when they as a couple were brought up on state tax evasion charges. Apparently were claiming to be residents of FL or something like that. So that’s them charged as a couple (filing jointly) and suggests they are lying people. So divorce was a sham imo

1 Like

No no the line is “Husband was a CPA”

Chauvin’s wife is a ride or die. I respect that.

22 years is a long time, I hope she doesn’t crack. Hang in there!

are you saying that Derek’s step-father was a CPA, not his father? I’m not following.

I was being silly, it’s a lyric from the song 1985 by Bowling for Soup which was popular like 15 years ago

2 Likes

For the longest time I thought it was Julia Roberts twerking on that car in that music video.

Great song btw