DALL-E mini/craiyon experiments

John Oliver did a bit on AI-generated images. NSFW due to language.

A good one from the full version of DALL-E

Something that I’d find interesting, but not interesting enough to go do myself, is to see a stacked progression of additional detail on some of these things, ie:

1. Winter animals
  2. Polar bears and penguins
  3. Polar bears and penguins selling snow cones
  4. Cartoon polar bears and penguins selling snow cones
  5. …in Paris…
  6. …with mustaches…
  7. …etc…

…then stack them to see the progression. NFT art form if ever there was one.

You can take a dall-e picture and say “give me a variant on this”
Or, write a prompt and say “add this” to the picture.
Or leave blank space and say “fill in the blank”.
These are all frequently used to make fun loops.

it’s reserving some tail

So I guess somebody won a state fair art contest by submitting an AI-generated piece. This was on Midjourney but thought it was interesting.

it’s certainly pretty. better than most human arts I’ve seen

In Dungeons and Dragons, as a sort of joke, I’m playing a fairy who worked at a tax-office. As you might expect, there is no existing art for my character. So I asked midjourney (and dall-e) to paint me some, in the style of Renior. I feel both proud and a bit ashamed at how ridiculously beautiful he is.

Spoiler Text

2 Likes

2 Likes

that’s pretty good

Somewhat interesting ethical issues…

The training data for AI art includes millions of copywrited works. Basically just scraping Pinterest and ArtStation and whatever.

And the number #1 requested style, from users, is (of course) a D&D artist who is none to happy about seeing a million imitations of his works on the internet.

This isn’t settled law. But the basic argument that will be made in court is that humans are allowed to steal from each other, as long as they change enough bits. So why can’t robots steal from humans, as long as they change enough bits?

training data being copyrights doesn’t seem illegal imo. One can be inspired from peers, and inspirations are not illegal.

In theory, sure. In practice, I don’t think people like it when their peers are so very “inspired” that nobody wants the original. All the more so if it’s a damn dirty bot.

art has always been subjective though. you can’t really argue that one thing deserves more popularity than the other just because it came first

The idea of owning anything is very old fashioned, when you think about it, really.

just leave my guns alone

ok, I got a DALL-E account (the big one, not the mini)

just did “sumo wrestlers with gigantic moustaches digital art”

niiiiiice

I’m going to have fun with this

that’s cute!

Hieronymus Bosch in an Art Nouveau style