Daily Brain Puzzlers Calendar

Answer to 1/7

Winner winner chicken dinner!

1/8/21

Solve this crossword, entering each six-letter answer, letter by letter, in alphabetical order: left to right for the Across answers, and top to bottom for the Downs.
Across

1. Laundry Liquid
  2. Frog, after being kissed?
  3. Lecture platform
  4. Except if
  5. Shaggy mammal (2 wds.)
  6. Hard to control, as hair

Down

1. Didnā€™t have
  2. ā€œJack be ______,ā€¦ā€
  3. One millionth of a meter
  4. Burdens
  5. Common exercise (hyph.)
  6. Sumptuous living

I donā€™t think I did the formatting right, but weā€™ll see.

Answer to Jan 8th puzzle
A B C E H L
C E I N P R
D I M O P U
E L N S S U
K M O S U X
L N R U U Y

Yup, not formatted correctly. Blah.

1/8/21

#4 was the hardest for me. I didnā€™t even get it once I had all the letters from the other answers.
I had to google the answers for #3 and #10, would not have gotten either on my own.
I thought I was wrong on #6 until I realized I had spelled it wrong.

Answer

Across 1. Bleach, 7. Prince, 8. Podium, 9. Unless, 10. Musk ox, 11. Unruly
Down 1. Lacked, 2. Nimble, 3. Micron, 4. Onuses, 5. Push-ups, 6. Luxury

Correct!

If copying in from Excel, you have to copy in a blank row above your data so thereā€™s a header row. If not copying in from Excel, then :man_shrugging:

You have a typo in your 1 down, and I didnā€™t paste in from excel, I was trying to follow the directions from further up thread, I just drew boxes on a paper LOL.

Thanks for catching that. Fixed it.

You need the |-|-| row above the data

Besides the time to understand how it wanted the answers sorted, I just missed the intersection of #10 and #4 on your list.

I tried adding that just now, it still didnā€™t like it. Maybe because Iā€™m on mobile? Eh, itā€™s fine. Iā€™ll use Excel next time.

Or maybe l will try the code block.

Try adding this above your table, removing the "%"s:

%|||||||
%|ā€”|ā€”|ā€”|ā€”|ā€”|ā€”|

I think you need two "-"s in each section, not just one. At least it seems to work when I do that.

Woo, it was the missing top line, the ||||||| that was making it fail. I tested it with both single and double dashes in the second line, both worked, itā€™s just that I didnā€™t have the top line.

Iā€™ll just leave these two here before I log off for the day. Itā€™s a Saturday/Sunday, so thereā€™s two on one page. The second one could be an interesting never-ending game on here where you just see how long you can keep one word going, changing one letter at a time.

1/9/21 - A-J Fit-In
Insert the letters A to J, one per square, so that no two consecutive letters in alphabetical order are in squares that touch in any way, even at a corner. Three letters have been placed to get you started.

1/10/21 - War and Peace
In this word ladder, go from HAWK to DOVE in five steps, changing one letter at a time to form a common English word at each step. We found two solutions.

H A W K
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
D O V E
Summary

||||||

A I
E C J D
B J H F
Summary

HAWK
HARK
DARK
DIRE
DIVE
DOVE

Youā€™re missing G, you have J twice, and neither location works for G the way you have it set. I havenā€™t worked this one yet though to fix it.