COVID studies

i had a colleague say he didn’t want a flu shot bc his wife said the govt was using such things a premise for collecting everyone’s dna somehow.

when i asked if he was on the city’s sewer system or if he held onto all that dna on his property he…started to understand why i thought he was insane for caring.

he was also hospitalized in the near term after the flu shot discussion. it was bad, lots of fluid in the lungs. i called him in the hospital and he told me they drained 1.5 L of fluid of from his lungs like an hour ago. I asked if they put that fluid in a giant bag for his wife to bring home and keep from the govt. he laughed and conceded the silliness of the prior statement.

2 Likes
teksti

Saliva testing for COVID-19 quicker, safer than nasal swabs: Study

Themes

22 March 2022

According to a study led by the American Society for Microbiology, saliva samples can identify COVID-19 more quickly than testing with nasal swabs.

The study was published in the journal, ‘Microbiology Spectrum’.

“That is important because people can spread COVID-19 before they know that they have it,” said co-author Donald K. Milton , M.D., DrPH, a professor of occupational and environmental health at the Institute for Applied Environmental Health, University of Maryland School of Public Health, College Park.

“Earlier detection can reduce the disease’s spread,” he added.

The research was motivated by the problem that early in the pandemic, an urgent need to increase testing was accompanied by a shortage of supplies, notably nasal swabs, which were then the standard method for collecting samples for testing.

To identify people with COVID-19 the investigators began conducting weekly tests of saliva samples from healthy community volunteers in May 2020 and continued over the next 2 years. Of the asymptomatic volunteers who tested positive, Milton and his colleagues found that those patients would typically show symptoms a day or 2 later.

“That made us wonder whether saliva was better for catching pre-symptomatic patients than the traditional nasal swabs,” Milton said.

To answer that question, the researchers used data from a companion study of close contacts of people with confirmed cases of COVID-19.

In the study, “We collected saliva and mid-turbinate [nasal] swab samples from contacts every 2 or 3 days during their quarantine period,” said Milton.

“All samples were tested using real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction [RT-PCR] to detect SARS-CoV-2 and measure how much viral RNA was in the samples. We then analyzed how these results changed in the days before and after symptom onset,” he added.

Early in the course of infection, saliva was significantly more sensitive than mid-turbinate nasal swabs notably so before the onset of symptoms, according to the study, which noted that previous studies had shown that pre-symptomatic transmission plays a greater role than the symptomatic transmission of SARS-CoV-2.

The findings have implications for improving public acceptance of COVID-19 testing, reducing the cost of mass COVID-19 screening and improving the safety of healthcare workers who conduct testing.

In the latter case, saliva self-testing avoids the close contact between patient and healthcare worker that nasal swabbing entails and avoids causing patients to cough and sneeze, thereby spreading virus particles as a result of swabbing the sensitive nasal passages, as well as discomfort to patients.

“Our research supports the use of saliva in large-scale screening in schools and workplaces, as a means of improving screening rates, as well as early detection,” said Milton.

“We expect that if rapid saliva tests become available, they could be a major advance from the current nasal swab-based rapid tests,” he concluded.

Source: ANI

1 Like

Two studies in one article. The study not in the headline would be “Vaccine-related blood clots tied to gene, antibody variants”:

tl;dr:
(1) New research may help shed light on a rare but serious blood-clotting problem associated with the COVID-19 vaccines from AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.
(2) After taking other risk factors into account, the researchers found a 15% lower risk of infection for those who reported wearing glasses always for general use compared to those who never wore glasses.

I don’t think the glasses effect is too surprising. You can get covid when it drifts into your eyes.

And I know that healthcare providers are supposed to wear goggles and a mask.

I wonder how many of these effects apply to flu and colds too.

1 Like

I think this is what happened to my son. He was boosted in early January and then got Covid 2 weeks later and 4 weeks later was dealing with a bunch of problems (Nausea, abdomanal pain, headaches, fatigue). We went to the Dr and he had super high liver enzyme counts and was given a regimen of steroids and antibiotics which thankfully leveled everything off. Will be interesting to see if they find this is vax or virus related.

1 Like

Why would you blame the vaccine over having COVID? There seems to be plenty of evidence COVID raises liver enzymes as well?

I think like the rare heart issues…yes, they happen, but happen at much higher rates from the virus itself.

This was kind of a no-brainer. Anything that triggers a general immune response, including an infection, or an immunization, can temporarily mess with the menstrual cycle. So can other forms of stress, like lack of sleep or travel or …

We don’t usually see it, because most vaccines are administered to kids or to old people. But it really ought to be one of the things they keep track of in vaccine studies, like headaches and fever and feeling run down. That they don’t is probably for the same reason the initial Apple health tracker didn’t track menstrual cycles – too many of the decision-makers are men, and they just didn’t think of it.

2 Likes

Because the only article I have seen on his issues is the above and it blames the vaccine. I am trying to be fair and also include the virus until further research is completed.

There are lots of articles on COVID and liver function tests being off after infection. Or was there something specific here that is missing elsewhere?

Maybe your son’s illness is related to this

1 Like

Or this

1 Like

The outbreak of severe hepatitis among kids is rather concerning. So far, the numbers are small, but the pattern of distribution suggests it is probably caused by something infectious, and of course infectious diseases have a bad habit of spreading.

(The covid vaccine is one of the few things that’s been ruled out in those cases, since none of the kids who got it in the initial clusters studied had been vaccinated for covid. A prior covid infection has not been ruled out, but there are a lot of other possibilities, including “as yet unknown virus”.)

1 Like

WTF was this:

I do believe COVID-19 is far from over, but this is a bit much.

1 Like

Well, the story says to expect the unexpected from COVID.
100 million infections is certainly unexpected.
Therefore, expect 100 million infections.
QED
Square thingy.

& # 9633 = image
[or]
Alt+254 = ■
According to the googles, Alt + 9633 & 9643 are supposed to get you empty squares but they don’t seem to work.

In what way does this seem too much?

COVID cases go up, up, up, and then down, and then up some more

Too lazy to look, but where are we with herd immunity? Seems like with all the vaccines and those with COVID already, we should be at herd immunity by now. What’s next?

More strains and variations. Meaning, there is no “herd immunity” with this uncommon variation of the common cold.
We can only hope that the future strains are not as lethal, and that vaccines are developed (not unlike for flu strains) to lessen the damage. We still cannot vaccinate against bullheadedness and boneheadedness.