Covid policies and attitudes at work

We’ve been explicitly told that anyone who choses to continue wearing a mask after the mandate is dropped will be allowed to do so, and that there shouldn’t be any stigma on fellow employees either way.

I’d guess that the people who want to continue wearing masks are the more personally conservative (a status that doesn’t line up with political orientation) and those who have high-risk people in their households, as well as employees who are themselves at high risk.

3 Likes

We just got the notice today. No masks are necessary IF vaccinated. And, yeah, it specifically mentioned that where masks are not mandatory, masks may still be worn.

Why does it need to be said that wearing a mask is optional? Are there places were wearing a mask is explicitly disallowed?

There’s actually a restaurant in Texas that will kick you out if you wear a mask. Let me see if I can find the story…

Here: Texas restaurant won't allow masks, kicks out immunocompromised family

Honestly, i think it’s wise to warn everyone that people will make different choices and that the masked and unmasked coworkers are all expected to coexist amicably.

:iatp: ; however, I’ll simply say this “wisdom” has been noticeably absent for the last 23 months, including on this forum.

3 Likes

DeSantis just chastised future voters for wearing masks in front of him.

The best part about the article is the waitress who told them that masks don’t keep out viruses but keep out oxygen. That’s big brain logic.

1 Like

“You do not have to wear those masks. I mean, please take them off. Honestly, it’s not doing anything, and we gotta stop with this COVID theater. So, if you want to wear it, fine, but this is, this is ridiculous.”
(emphasis added)

Let’s see how one of DeSantis’s “colleagues” (and part-time Florida resident) addressed his state’s citizens about the issue:

Yeah, that’s hostile. If I said that to a co-worker, I would rightly be called to the carpet. I’d expect pretty much the same response to that as to “put on a mask, you are endangering everyone around you.”

Situation was a bit different in 2020 vs 2022. I suppose not in your narrative tho.

1 Like

How about “the enemy is you” ?

Asking for a fiend.

Whether you’re for masking or not, it was a jackass move. Kind of surprised you think it’s OK. Did you watch the video or just read his words?

I transcribed the quote myself from the video.

His tone was definitely too firm on his “request” that they take their masks off. But he ultimately (rightly) said it was their choice.

I can’t say for sure, but I suspect he might have been feeling a bit “set up” for a Stacey-Abrams-esque* photo op & inappropriately took his annoyance out on these students.

* reference for those who may not be familiar:

Nice whatabout. I think all 3 suck, but DeSantis is the worst because he’s being aggressive towards kids. What else you got?

1 Like

On an on-line bulletin board, arguing policy, either is aggressive, but not terrible. In person, in an actual interaction with a real person in front of you, i think both are well beyond the pale. Both should be unacceptable at work, and a politician saying that to the people in front of him is an ass.

I kind of think there’s some difference between “Don’t kill other people, jerk” and “Yeah, you’re a jerk to be caring about other people”.

They are USF students. How many of them are actually “kids”?

I also don’t think a stern tone is as aggressive as forcibly masking someone against their will, but :woman_shrugging:

How about the mayor of Chicago with full entourage chasing a group of actual kids off an outdoor basketball court, telling them “Go home!”

How about 2-year-olds who can’t tolerate masks getting berated and their families kicked off airplanes?

Or the aforementioned part-time Floridian Pritzker threatening to strip IL school districts’ funding, sports, & accreditation (and therefore kids’ extracurriculars & diplomas/potential NCAA eligibility) if the district refused to enforce his unlawful school mask mandate:

Or, last month (in 2022) an Elgin, IL, middle school locking a child in a room with an adult “guard” posted outside it because the student exercised their option not to wear a mask - this was after courts had declared the governor’s statewide mask mandate unlawful, null & void:

Or, again just a month ago in 2022 when the “situation” is “a bit different,” children in a California high school being barricaded in a gymnasium with the heat turned off because they tried to attend school without a mask - keeping in mind that the cheap cloth masks most children have worn for the past 2 years have been rightly called “little more than facial decoration”?

To me, these examples are all more aggressive toward actual kids than Ron DeSantis’s tone toward a group of university students who don’t understand science.

So while I agree that DeSantis’s tone could have been kinder, he didn’t actually force anyone to do anything, he didn’t threaten anyone with anything, and there was nothing false in what he said. So forgive me if I don’t have a lot of tears to shed for DTNF’s accusation of “bullying” when you all were cheering for the US’s position as the only country in the world that force-masked young children for the past 2 years.

2 Likes

I’m glad you can tell the difference between bullying falsehood and a strawman.

1 Like