Covid -- effects other than mortality

Advil was just a random example i thought of. I’d forgotten the early worry over it for making covid worse.

I just mean that if you have damage to some internal organ, then your dr probably wants to know about it. Maybe it’s other things you want to avoid.

As another example, I know child athletes are supposed to get their heart looked at before returning to their sport.

I don’t think we should be worrying about this. But our doctors probably need to be.

Not sure what I took, but I tried to keep any fever from even thinking about existing in me. Probably acetaminophen, 'cause wife knows best and she was up on all this.

Meanwhile Joe Rogan is just aching for a kidney problem with all the meds he’s taking.

Huh, i think of fever as part of the immune system, and try to put up with as much of it as i can stand.

1 Like

Posted in a thread about 2 patients: a guy who didn’t get vaccinated because he didn’t think COVID would be a big deal if he got sick but ended up in the ICU and a guy with newly diagnosed pancreatic cancer whose surgery is delayed since it’s non emergent and no ICU space for recovery.

2 Likes

The cost of travelling back into the country. Geezus! $150 to do a pre-board flight covid test.

1 Like

Diabetes:

The coronavirus could be harming vital cells in the pancreas and leaving people with diabetes, according to new research being pursued by scientists.

The relationship between COVID-19 and diabetes is poorly understood and scientists don’t yet have definitive answers.

But as the pandemic progressed, a growing number of reports suggested that people who caught COVID-19 were noticing diabetes symptoms for the first time. It is too soon to say whether the condition is permanent.

“Clearly there’s a link, there’s some sort of mechanism that makes the diseases fuel one another,” Francesco Rubino chair of metabolic surgery at King’s College London, told Insider. “The question is whether new-onset diabetes could be caused by this virus.”

It’s based on research published by Cell Metabolism

Introduction

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) encompasses a myriad of pathologies caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Although respiratory failure is the most common clinical feature, many individuals with COVID-19 present with additional clinical complications, including cardiac defects, gastrointestinal symptoms, kidney damage, abnormal liver function, neurological manifestations, and a number of metabolic phenotypes. Clinical studies have also suggested a close interaction between COVID-19 and diabetes. Individuals with diabetes and severe obesity are more likely to be symptomatic, are at a higher risk for complications, and have a higher COVID-19 mortality rate (Cummings et al., 2020; Zhou et al., 2020; Zhu et al., 2020). Conversely, new-onset diabetes and severe metabolic complications of pre-existing diabetes have also been observed in individuals with COVID-19. Recently, several cases have been reported involving the new onset of diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis following SARS-CoV-2 infection (Chee et al., 2020; Heaney et al., 2020; Hollstein et al., 2020; Liang et al., 2021; Soliman et al., 2020; Unsworth et al., 2020). In addition, subjects with newly diagnosed diabetes have been reported to have significantly higher rates of admittance to intensive care unit (Li et al., 2020), in-hospital complications, and death (Fadini et al., 2020; Wang et al., 2020; Yang et al., 2020a).

Long Covid, a study from Wuhan finds that 6 months and one year after covid, a lot of people still suffer from fatigue and muscle weakness, many have decreased lung function, and 12% never returned to work. (median age was 59, and I wonder if China has similar pandemic-related overall reduction in employment as the US.)

COVID-19 Survivors 1 Year Later: Suboptimal Health and Functional Status (jwatch.org)

Research explores how immune system gets altered by COVID-19

Can we believe any statistics or studies on COVID from China?

2 Likes

Ok so I finally had my Pulmonary Function Test. There was on thing that was off on my test. I don’t have the doctor’s explanation and googling didn’t help much. Apparently this result is typical for COPD patients but I’ve never smoked nor lived with a smoker. There are some studies that link this result with prior Covid but I’m not sure what it means.

I’ll just have to wait to see what my dr says about all this. It’s also possible that this was pre-existing prior to me getting Covid.

1 Like

Dr said I have decreased lung capacity probably due to Covid. Didn’t suggest follow up, so I guess it’s more something to know and not something to worry about. Also if I read the results right I think it was in the mild category, not severe or anything.

I’m not gonna worry about it if she’s not. I’ll just follow up in March per my already scheduled appointment.

1 Like

I’ve been having a lot of heart palpitations and arrhythmia, especially during heavy lifting.

Am I dying? Who knows. Maybe the vaccine is killing me slowly.

Or maybe it’s my substance abuse.

Jk.

Much more likely the substance abuse than the vaccine. Might want to get that checked out. Or, classic doctor response: “stop heavy lifting.”

And we are all dying, Mr Mill.

I’m sorry to read this. But good that the doctor doesn’t seem worried about it at all. Did she indicate if she thinks it is a long-term decrease or if it will return? (Feel free not to share if you don’t want)

Communication was via the app, so she didn’t say much. It’s been a year so I don’t know if it’s something that can change.

Still if she was concerned she would have said.

So here’s an “effect” of covid: I’ve had a cold for 2 weeks. It’s getting worse and not better. One of the symptoms is a cough so the places I would normally go are not going to want to see me without a Covid test. So I have to go to the freaking urgent care.

Also I am at work coughing. I am at work coughing bc my symptoms usually improve by the time I get to work but today they didn’t. And I took my one WFH day yesterday.

1 Like

will your boss not approve additional WFH days if you are sick?!

1 Like

do you not have sick days? that should be standard regardless of covid.

Unless you’re on a flex day system and you burned through all of those already.

I could have worked from home but I try to be in the office as much as possible, especially on days when my team is here.

And yes, I could take a day off but I kept thinking my headache was a side effect of taking the nighttime cold med last night. It seems to finally be settling down. But I’m still going to urgent care this afternoon and hope to get something to kick this for real.