Company Holiday Parties

My department has a “the team that plays together stays together” philosophy. So, instead of our weekly Teams social coffee break, we had a two-hour long Zoom event, hiring an influencer to run a trivia contest, and well as instructions to spend $$ and submit an expense report for a tangible gift (not a gift card because taxes)…preferably something that could be consumed or showed off during the virtual party.

It was fun, and I actually preferred it to the holiday parties of the Before Times…but then again, I’m an asocial scrooge, so my preferences may not be the norm.

1 Like

Here is what I wound up winning in our team’s gift swap thing:

5 Likes

I think there was a luncheon thing at work. Don’t know, I was on the road that day. Even if I wasn’t on the road, I’m WFH and I don’t know that I would have gone in for that. I think in the past they’ve traded off between an after-work event that’s employees-only and an evening dinner with spouses.

Nicest thing I can recall from the past: one employer had Christmas for the kids. Kids wrote a letter to Santa, he read it and talked to the kids, gave them a gift.

I think I’m similar to a few people above: by and large, I don’t care about going. I like being able to visit with the people in the department, but when you’re talking 200, 300+ people that’s just too big. I’ll go to make an appearance, get free food, then get the hell out.

what i miss more are the team building type parties we would have for just my department. those were in the summer. they were always better than the company holiday party. all had to stop with covid :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve always been like this. 200+ people being too big has nothing to do with covid (for me).

The nice thing about the super large holiday party was that my absence was never noticed.

2 Likes