Codenames!

You can change your vote with this software

1 Like

Click on “Show votes” . . . and you can change it from there.

As the spymaster I think it would have been helpful to be able to see what my team was thinking and how they were interpreting clues. We had one word outstanding from my first clue - had you guys figured that out, or did I need to include that word in another clue?

Plus with none of the chatter in the main thread it was hard to tell if the game was progressing or not.

1 Like

Why is letting the other team hear your thought process about your clues bad?

IMO, this was a critical aspect of the “IRL” game that benefitted the Spymaster the most.

e.g., seeing people guessing that pyramid was a clue, but wanted to see what additional clues were made and pass, the Spymaster could then go with “Egypt 0” as the clue to help them steer away from the assassin word.

Thinking it through, I think I like the idea of the DM for each group, but the spymaster should still part of that group.

It can give you the advantage of using a team-specific clue to help them avoid the assassin word while not tipping it off to the other team. (See my earlier post.)

I suppose. I’m used to not playing with any whispering (teams sit every other around a table), so I don’t see what the big deal is. I’m up for whatever though. I would prefer spymasters can at least see the group DM and not talk.

Have you ever played this game in person? I thought you hadn’t.

Because then they are less likely to accidentally pick one of your words if you came up with a good connection that they missed.

But I’m not wedded to any particular format, and will go with what the group prefers. The only caveat is that I want to optimize the format for the players – hecklers and bystanders come second.

2 Likes

@snoo – if you still feel this way, please change your vote before I start the next game. Otherwise I’m going to count you as a vote for chaos. :wink:

Although it looks like Chaos is going to win anyway. I’ve generally played with an order, but irl you never have to wait for someone without knowing how long they will be away, so that’s an important difference.

Thinking I’m going to start the next game between 2:30 and 3:00. Players remain

Team Red
@BruteForce – operative
@soyleche – ?
@snoo – ?
@Snake – ?

Team Blue
@John.S.Mill – Spymaster
@IPD – operative
@Tiffany – operative
@Rastiln – operative

1 Like

Just make snoo our spymaster, then she doesn’t have to deal with the guessing order :slight_smile:

I’ve played in a virtual session. Think Skype meeting.

Team that was up were allowed to talk–and the other team heard all discussion–but their formal guess had to be IM’d.

And I’ve served as Spymaster in this set up as well. (Hence why I said that scanning a grid was “better” for me.)

:flushed:

Okay, nearly ready to go – @soyleche , @snoo , @Snake , anyone want to step up to be spymaster? If not, I will roll my enticing physical dice within the next half hour and get this game up and running.

You can do it!

channeling my psychic energy

If you make me spymaster it will be a couple hours before I can give a clue.

Since no one volunteered, I rolled a die and @soyleche is the spymaster.

1 Like

New game