Climate impact of beef

I wonder where they get the hydrogen.

There’s actually a move afoot to go that way, but taking a page from kite boarders instead of traditional sails. Claim is that having a giant kite as supplemental power can reduce cargo ship emissions by 20%. https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/30/travel/airseas-giant-kites-ships-slash-carbon-emissions-scn-climate-spc/index.html

2 Likes

Hoist the mainsail!

1 Like

and fire up the grill!

4 Likes

I’ll get the moist towelettes.

1 Like

I checked their website. They claim they are accounting for every burp and fart.

So i wonder if we shouldn’t just tax farmers on their emissions, and let the market sort it out. Or hey… That idea could be generalized.

4 Likes

You know that ain’t ever gonna happen.

1 Like

I’d be for taxes on all kinds of this stuff. We should have taxes that encourage more humane animal treatment too.

Didn’t CA basically do this with their new law on pork brought in from out-of-state? Something about pork being sold in CA had to have live in a confinement that met certain dimension requirements? I live in the Midwest and pork producers were, to put it nicely, less than enthused. I haven’t kept track of the law to know if it actually was passed/went in to effect but on its face, legislation like this could drive more humane animal treatment.

1 Like

The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld a California law that sought to address cruelty to animals, saying the state could require pork sold there but produced elsewhere to come from breeding pigs housed in spaces that allow them to move around freely.

The decision was badly fractured and featured competing rationales, but the basic vote was 5 to 4.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/11/us/supreme-court-california-pigs.html#:~:text=california-pigs.html-,Supreme%20Court%20Upholds%20California%20Law%20on%20Humane%20Treatment%20of%20Pigs,conduct%20beyond%20the%20state’s%20borders.

1 Like

Basically the 4 justices were claiming that putting a requirement on an imported product interferes with interstate commerce because you’re dictating what conditions the out-of-state producer needs to abide by.

Like… auto emissions? Or a pile of other things that need to meet a state requirement?

They’re two different things - one is method of production while auto emissions (assuming you mean from the end product) is a physical part/effect of the product.

However, if the Supreme Court did say method of production didn’t matter, I imagine it would open up sale of goods from countries produced by quasi-slave labor, such as the Uyghurs in China.

So can you tax meet from different states?

Only if you meat the requirements

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they would say the US congress can block goods from quasi-slave labor for all states.

The issue is what one state can do on its own.

1 Like

It seems like some folks are paying attention.

Started watching “You Are What You Eat” on Netflix last night. It had a group of identical twins agree to going on a plant vs meat based diet for (8 weeks?). Only watched the first two episodes, so no conclusions yet on the health impacts, but so far they have covered other aspects of the meat industry such as CO2 emissions.

The reviews include the predictable complaints of bias that come with any suggestion to eat less meat, but I have found it interesting so far. Might finish it this evening.

I remember reading somewhere that the water used to produce and process the soy necessary for a plant based burger was comparable to that of traditional beef.
If the lab grown meat tastes good and is commercially viable, I would be all in on that (unless I am visiting Alabama)

This piece has a different opinion.

Between 2016 and 2022, investors poured almost $3 billion into cultivated meat and seafood companies. Powerful venture capital and sovereign wealth funds — SoftBank, Temasek, the Qatar Investment Authority — wanted in. So did major meatpackers like Tyson, Cargill and JBS, and celebrities like Leonardo DiCaprio, Bill Gates and Richard Branson. Two of the leading companies — Eat Just and Upside Foods, both start-ups — reportedly achieved billion-dollar valuations. And today, a few products that include cultivated cells have been approved for sale in Singapore, the United States and Israel.

Interviews with almost 60 industry investors and insiders, including many who have been employed by or been part of the leadership teams of these companies, reveal a litany of squandered resources, broken promises and unproven science. … Costs refused to enter the realm of plausible as launch targets came and went. All the while, nobody could achieve anything close to meaningful scale. And yet companies rushed to build expensive facilities and pushed scientists to exceed what was possible, creating the illusion of a thrilling race to market.

NY banned plastic packaging and now the Targets there give reusable plastic bags with every pickup order. I asked for no bags twice in a row sometimes and both times they acted like it was weird, once they actually suggested I take them but they don’t charge me for it. Guess how much more plastic is being generated that way. I reuse all disposable plastic bags I get, usually as small trash bags at home, but these reusable ones are just a pain and generating much more plastic in the long run. And they are harder to use as trash bags.

3 Likes