Clean Plate Club

A counter-point:

Part of my wife’s childhood was spent in poverty. While there wasn’t a “clean plate club” in her home, there wasn’t enough food to justify “wasting it” because you didn’t like it.

Being pressured to not waste food is a probable contributor to my wife and her brother having obesity issues as adults. Even today, my wife can’t throw away food; at best she asks me to “make it go away” while in another room.

OK.

Take all you want but eat all you take…

(That’s not the exact scene, but same episode)

2 Likes

There’s a lot of evidence that food scarcity followed by food abundance leads to being overweight. And not just in people. You can see the same in house cats. That’s one of the reasons why early dieting is probably not just statistically associated with being overweight later in life, but probably causally related, too.

again no citation but I also believe food scarcity, or at least borderline poverty leads to obesity, as nutritious proteins are expensive and fresh vegatables scarce in certain neighborhoods, leading people to heavy pasta/grain based diets

I think it’s more that people who are often hungry (or hungry for some nutrients) learn “if it’s available now, eat it.”

1 Like

I think it’s both

On more than one occasion I’ve had this exchange with my wife:

“If you don’t like it/if you’re full, why are you still trying to eat?”
“Because it’s bad to waste food!”

agreed, a Snickers bar is relatively cheap, easy and filling

Especially if working multiple jobs and having little time to cook a meal

Some degree of this. She’s been known to eat what’s left on the kid’s plate.

I’ve found it’s important to make food that can be made as a leftover. So, don’t make too much food that cannot be made as a leftover. Like, veggies. Just make as much as will be needed.
I usually double-up on recipes that make good leftovers, because that means one less day of making food.

3 Likes

My wife and I have been trying to include healthier foods for our meals (more vegetables, etc.) and my grocery bill agrees with you.

1 Like

Mmmm, Snickers bars… I haven’t had one if those in a long time.

Why yes, i have lost weight during the pandemic.

Then don’t put so much on your plate.

During the height of COVID we were using Instacart, but the milk in particular was very expensive. We were using other services for produce and meat. My wife discovered they weren’t shopping in my neighborhood, but the neighboring black neighborhood. When the store nearer my house came on their system, prices dropped

I never got the forcing-to-eat thing, but then I was the very picky child. “Then you’ll go to bed hungry”? Fine. There’ll probably be something I’m ok with tomorrow and I won’t die from not eating a few peas or whatever in the mean time.

Even the “just try one bite” never made sense to me. I already tried peas. Many times. I don’t need to keep trying them twice a week to verify that I really don’t like them. Why even feed them to me when you already know that?

Fwiw, I’m not very picky now. Except for peas. They’d better be mixed in with something else to hide the pea taste and texture. Preferably with gravy.

Why did you ask?

Now, who’s the doctor here? I ask the questions.

1 Like

sometimes more about nutrition, than hunger, maybe so they won’t come begging for something later

If not established you don’t care for something, it makes sense. If you don’t like them, yes they should switch up the veggies

I was waiting for the only child judgement.