China

A “systemic credit event” according to BofA.

Xi is desperately trying to hide the extent of the damage from the collapse of the property market (like he did with Covid), but that is only going to make things worse when it comes to their economic progress (which can be tracked from the outside), as he is just building the proverbial dam higher and higher.

I have 49 more to visit.

I have 56

1 Like

Well, given that China’s population is shrinking, maybe it’ll be less than 56 of them that you’ll need to visit when you finally get around to it.

1 Like

This may all be true, but I don’t see that it is supported by your link. The article says that money managers are shifting money out of Chinese stocks. It implies that Xi isn’t doing enough – " But the actions have fallen short of the “bazooka” many investors think is required."

It’s interesting that

“A third of fund managers named Chinese commercial real estate as the most likely source of a ‘systemic credit event’ in the September instalment of Bank of America’s monthly poll, with the proportion more than doubling since last month to eclipse concerns over US commercial property.
So apparently, when they asked about the most likely systemic credit event in August, the most common response was US commercial property.

This is what I have been referring to in this thread.

Their governance is dysfunctional because they don’t trust their people unless they have known them for decades. Ideology and corruption creates huge economic inefficiencies as you have too much censorship and need to control.

I like to refer to this issue as Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle applied to political ideology: the more you try to control a complex economic system, the larger the economic inefficiencies that arise. The old USSR was a good example of this as well.

Chinese Military (PLA) has huge corruption problems

Xi is only really interested in loyalty because the only thing he truly fears is being purged himself by insiders.

Then there were two: disappearance of second Chinese minister sparks speculation - Then there were two: disappearance of second Chinese minister sparks speculation | Financial Times via @FT

I agree with what you say but perhaps it could more accurately be referred to as the observer effect.

Historically, the uncertainty principle has been confused[8][9] with a related effect in physics, called the observer effect, which notes that measurements of certain systems cannot be made without affecting the system,

Not sure observer effect applies as you are not simply observing an event, you are in fact applying force (momentum) to the system as well, in order to achieve a desired outcome (expectation).

In any event, I recognise its not a perfect analogy but the trend in China seems fairly clear. Xi is increasingly trying to centralise power, and the circle of influence around him is shrinking. This is having increasingly negative effects on governance at all levels.

This reminds me a lot of how the old Politburo of the USSR functioned. The members became disconnected from the country, and you ended up with poor economic outcomes because people ended up telling them what they wanted to hear (as they were afraid to be purged for not showing enough loyalty), as opposed to the actual economic reality.

Pure speculation follows. I got no links.

It’s so curious how China can blend capitalism and communist authoritarian. They seem at odds. But real estate is pretty cool.it’s a blend of capital and regulatory approval. The key might be “controlled corruption”

As long as the bribes are flowing to the politicians and the real estate capitalists and banks are happy, it’s smooth sailing for Xi. If that goes south, hard to say what the political and social ramifications could be. So it might be a bigger crisis than meets the eye.

I have a friend who regularly visits China for extended family reasons, and the situation regarding bribes is really off the scale.

Basically, public officials will ignore you and not do their job unless you pay them off.

A system like that is just never going to work long-term.

To be fair a lot of developing countries are like that, I’m looking at you India…

Evergrande chair put under ‘mandatory measures’ on suspicion of crimes - Evergrande chair put under ‘mandatory measures’ on suspicion of crimes | Financial Times via @FT

Evergrande on Thursday said its chair, Hui Ka Yan, had been placed under “mandatory measures” on suspicion of involvement in “illegal crimes”, a sign of escalating government pressure on the Chinese developer almost two years after its default shook global markets.

I see, “illegal crimes” as opposed to the legal ones?

This latest analysis on Chinese corruption is relevant.

Estimating Chinese corruption - Estimating Chinese corruption | Financial Times via @FT

1 Like

“unofficial incomes” :laughing:

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: China has a private sector?

Yes, a rather large one… although investment (“unofficial ownership”?) by various government entities (the PLA comes to mind) muddies the picture a bit.

So it looks like Evergrande will be liquidated fairly soon.

That will have a huge impact on international investors (who will likely only get a few cents on the dollar back from their investment)

China is going to be economically sputtering for years to come.

Advisers to Evergrande creditors warn of potential liquidation - Advisers to Evergrande creditors warn of potential liquidation | Financial Times via @FT

It added that a failure to implement the restructuring would have a “catastrophic effect on the fate of other similarly situated Chinese companies” and the “future ability for Chinese entities to raise capital from the international capital market”.

I’m wondering if this bothers Xi. Is he thinking that China no longer needs foreign capital? They can just stiff the international lenders and shuffle assets between Chinese people without any foreign interference.

On Tuesday, the company said it expected to miss the overseas debt payments despite an agreement by local creditors to delay the maturity of nine corporate bonds totaling about $2 billion in debt.

The company said “its top operational priority” was to ensure the delivery of unfinished apartments, a priority for the Chinese government. The company said it had finished a total of 420,000 units in 2023, as of the end of September.

Yep. Xi is clear about his priorities. Chinese individuals who pre-paid for units are going to get them. Other lenders are out of luck.

I wonder if he will find a way to favor people who bought for their own use vs. people who bought for investments.