Chief actuary salary?

401(k) contribution limits this year are $22.5k to age 50, and $30k for age 50 and above.

We also have the option of whether we make contributions on a pre-tax or post-tax basis.

1 Like

Bonuses are supposed to be taxed at the supplemental withholding rate regardless of the marginal tax bracket they will actually end up in, which in 2023 is 22%ā€¦.geez, how much is your state and local withholding??

ETA I googled it and apparently thatā€™s not the only way to tax bonuses, itā€™s just how all the companies Iā€™ve worked for have done it and it seems to be the most common. TIL.

Iā€™m not sure to be honest, I feel like my bonus always has a crazy withholding. I definitely donā€™t pay 45% average tax rate, more like 22% all in (ground up), I think.

1 Like

Is it all withholding, or is some of the chunk being taken out due to 401k contributions or something? I feel like my bonuses usually net around 55%, but thatā€™s because of my 401k contribution taking out a lot.

I worked for a company once that didnā€™t automatically take anything out of your bonus for 401k purposes. I didnā€™t realize it until my bonus was way higher than Iā€™d expected. Only worked there briefly.

1 Like

Oh thatā€™s a good point, 44.5% isnā€™t tax withholding thatā€™s just 1 - bank account number over gross number, so thatā€™ll include 401k, etc.

1 Like

Another poster mentions the current 401k plan limits. Thatā€™s by far the most common type of deferred compensation plan in the US.

Some companies also offer non-qualified deferred compensation plans. These can be free of contribution limits. However, non qualified plans come with additional risk as in the event of a company bankruptcy they are at risk. I participated in a non qualified plan.

In the US the limit is $22.5K per year into your 401k. or 30k if you are over age 50.

Sorry, M_S got you the correct answer before me. Call me Mr Redundancy and Mr Repetitive.

Regarding bonus withholding ā€“ I just pulled up the pay statement for my bonus.

Withheld were:

• Federal Income tax (@22%)
  • Medicare (@1.45%)
  • Social Security (@6.2%)
  • State taxes

My current employer doesnā€™t do 401(k) withholding from bonus checks. At prior employers, bonuses werenā€™t significant enough (either by company pay policy, or because I was too junior at the time) for me to notice.

1 Like

Asking for a friend.

1 Like

Some companies allow bonus receivers to manually select the tax withholding percentage so that they may match the marginal tax rate that the bonus puts them into.

I would have thought 250 is like base for an actuary VP. Chief actuary at least 300s imo.

1 Like

The VP bit would depend on the company, I think. My current employer is extremely stingy with the VP titles (ā€œVP of actuarialā€ is the chief actuary). However several years ago I worked at one company where I was surprised the business card printers didnā€™t wear out the worldā€™s supply of "V"s and "P"s.

I see this as well. VP means very different things in different places. At my current company there is only a single VP position, which is technically the general manager/ceo-equivalent of the insurance company. The ā€˜presidentā€™ technically works for the parent federation and is not an employee of the insurer.

Meaningless really at most companies.

Corporate title inflation is very real.

1 Like

Agreed.

Directors/managers without direct reports are already in the 150-200k range

VP with 10-25 reports are probably in the 250-400k range

Most chief actuaries are at the VP level

Few are at the SVP/EVP level. If they have 100+ reports then they can expect closer to 7 figures

woah 10-25? I was thinking like, 4 tops.

usually VPs have 3-6 direct reports (manager/director level)

Their direct reports have 2-5 analysts under them

Just realizing the percentages donā€™t total to 100%. O_o

Well, only about 46% of Americans understand fractions and percentages. The other 2/3 donā€™t.

7 Likes

Given that Americans are probably 13% bigger on average, I think that math checks out.