Changes to ASA Pathway and Microcredentials

Less finance, more data science, and specialization at the ASA level,

Is that new compared to two months ago? Sorry for asking, just trying to understand what news weā€™re meant to take from the link you posted. Is that page new?

This is just more specific with respect to content,

More specifically, for some of the new exams the draft learning objectives have been released.

1 Like

Got an email ā€“ this seems to be a re-branding or something

WOOO! SOAR!

some badges

I think itā€™s mainly the same stuff, just making it a bit easier to read.

Yay! More administrative tweaks that members didnā€™t ask for and wonā€™t benefit from, but presents as ā€œLook at us! Weā€™re doing something!ā€ theater.

1 Like

Sounds like the biggest impact will be to actuarial students just before associateship with too many lines on their resume. Now they can effectively nest exams!

So theyā€™re going to give out micro-credentials? thatā€™s (for me)pretty interesting. Having some pre-asa credentials would be cool. Might even motivate me to write some exams.
At one point, many years ago, I was within spitting range of ASA. I think I had an LTAM level exam and a smaller exam left IIRC. Stopped writing at that point and through a series of exam changes Iā€™ve lost most of it. I think I now have the equivalent of probability, fm, srm and the VEEā€™s or something thereabouts.

Looks like Iā€™d need to -elearning modules to get the first two.

Then itā€™s either LTAM OR STAM and not both? I feel like thatā€™s not a good idea overall, but since I love ltam and detest the stam math (stupid P&C stuff anyway, who needs that?)

Also, the SOA is really bad at transitioning exams. I tried to register for one of the elearning courses and it wonā€™t let me because I donā€™t have the required pre-reqs. Except, i do have the required pre-reqs. They donā€™t show my VEEā€™s and SRM even though Iā€™ve sent them the required transcripts showing I have them. All I got was a cryptic response with no real reason why they didnā€™t add them in.

Has anyone seen the syllabus for the e-learning modules? They donā€™t seem to have anything published, like dates and textbooks etc.

ā€¦good point. I donā€™t see it, either.

Pretty-looking website, though.

I sent an email to the SOA asking them to check into it. What I should have at a minimum is:

• credit for P and FM
  • credit for all VEEā€™s
  • credit for SRM
    Unfortunately my account currently shows none of the above.

Do you have any idea what the curriculum will be for these new exams? Will it still be related to the previous exams?

Iā€™m sorry, I donā€™t know more than anybody else. I see what anybody else sees on the website.

1 Like

Still confused about these modules. Can anyone answer generally?

• what sort of time committment do FAP/modules normally take? Are they comparable to the exams like ltam/stam? Or something that can be done in a month or two?
  • are they offered at specific times, or on a rolling basis?

I have 4-6 week downtime from studying at end of term (april/August) and Iā€™m trying to determine if thereā€™s sufficient time to do one of these modules or not.

Hereā€™s how the ASA modules worked for me (Iā€™m sure someone will let me know if theyā€™ve changed)

There are 8 modules. As you go through the modules, you read a bunch of stuff, then complete an End of Modules (EOM) exercise. You submit that for review, but you donā€™t have to wait for a response back to start the next modules. So you might be working on module 4 when you get told you failed module 1. You just go back and get a new exercise (I think it cycles between 2 exercises for each module) and resubmit. No additional fee for the EOM exercises.

Modules 5 and 8 have an Interim Assessment (IA) and Final Assessment (FA), respectively. These are much bigger than the EOM exercises, and have time limits (nothing else up to this point has a time limit). I think the IA gives you 30 days or something big, and the FA is 96 hours. If you fail these, you have to pay to resubmit, but nothing changes - itā€™s the same test every time.

On the AO there was a lot of info on some of the more difficult EOM exercises, and a lot of advice for the IA/FA.

You cannot start the FA until you receive a pass for the IA. Thatā€™s the biggest hang up. When I went through, I was trying to get done quick so I submitted stuff as soon as possible. Passed the IA on the first attempt, and ended up having to wait for a grade back to take the FA. I think it took me 2 tries to pass the FA (my issue was that I needed more bullet point summaries and less verbose paragraphs).

Thatā€™s how the modules were for me too but they did change right after.

Now the IA is spread out over the first 7 modules. So rather than having 30 days to do the IA, you have 4 days (96 hours) for each EOM exercise. Because each EOM exercise is now part of the IA, there is a fee to retake it.

I donā€™t think FA changed? But Iā€™m not sure.

Oh wow. That sounds like a crappy change. Puts way more pressure on the EOM exercises, and the whole process can potentially cost a lot more. Annoying.

Yeah, Iā€™d have one of those micro credentials, just have to write one small module/exam.
Except I canā€™t write the exam because I need someone at the SOA to transition my past exams to current credits. And nobody responds to my emails. Grumble. (which is surprising, because Iā€™ve had outstanding service from them in the past).
Meep, pull some strings!