Canada <> US

US flags are good for barbecuing meat

The red colour for Republicans particularly puzzled me as Americans have long used “reds” as a synonym for extreme left wing folks.

Mine to, or at least that general area.
When I went home during a break in the pandemic, half the people I met there were vocal antivaxxers.

I’m headed back there next weekend. One positive, it’s a good place to party and I’m going back for an outdoor wedding on a farm. Meal being done by indigenuos chef Billie Alexander so I’m looking forward to that, along with the drunken dancing afterwards.

1 Like

Disappointed that the Canada Day celebration by the Canadian Embassy in Washington DC is so “corporate”. I would be happy seeing my taxpayer dollars used to host Canadians (like my son) who happen to be there today. Maybe security is an issue.

https://www.international.gc.ca/country-pays/us-eu/washington-can-day-partnership.aspx?lang=eng

Like letterkenny?

1 Like

Belief in God has dropped to 81% in US: number is 59% in Canada and UK is lower still. Any ideas why the US rate is significantly higher than other countries despite recent drop?

According to this list, US is 104 out of 148, and behind several European countries, including Italy, Greece, and Portugal.

religion scales with low IQ.

So a Canadian version of Trump will likely soon assume the leadership of our Conservative Party. There are similar divisions in our Conservative Party as in the Republican Party. Good news is that his party will probably not be able to get sufficient support under his leadership from the middle of the political spectrum to form the next government.

Good news that the christian right won’t get votes. Bad news that they’re running the conservative party; that leaves Canada without a valid conservative party and that’s no better than not having a viable liberal party. No alternative leaves trudeau elected pretty much as monarch, and no matter who they are, two terms is about enough of them.

Does this say anything about where Conservatives are going in the individual provinces?

I dunno. Cons are a clusterf in Canada right now.

In the west, there’s a bunch of socons. In Ontario, the premier just got elected with the help of traditionally left people.
Who knows anymore. The left liberals are their normal tepid selves. The union party NDP isn’t union anymore. And I read that the green party (should be far left) has some surprisingly fiscally conservative policies.

I honestly might look into the green party. I like fiscally conservative but I can’t stand socons.

Not really. Provincial parties are pretty independent of the Federal party.

In BC, the Conservative Party is almost non-existent as the provincial Liberal Party is a centre-right party and the NDP (left of centre party) have a comfortable majority. Probably the Prairie provincial Conservative parties are closest to Federal Conservatives as they have a fair number of social conservatives and are “freedom-lovers”. However Ontario and Quebec provincial conservatives bear little resemblance to the Federal party. The Ontario Conservative leader looked like a mini-Trump initially but he was smart enough to pivot to the centre to win the recent Ontario election.

I have voted for the Greens, the NDP, the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives in previous elections. I have not voted for the Conservatives since they dropped the Progressive adjective as that happened after they merged with the Reform Party, a socially conservative entity. Before then there was not much difference between the Progressive Conservatives and the Liberals.

Pope Francis is coming to Canada next week to apologize in person to various Indigenous groups for the Catholic Church’s historical role in our residential school system.

Any pressure in the US for him to do the same there?

In about half the states of the US, there are campaigns to prohibit curricula that will make white people feel bad about themselves.

1 Like

Not yet as bad as Putin’s new initiatives. Excerpt from today’s New York Times:

“Starting in first grade, students across Russia will soon sit through weekly classes featuring war movies and virtual tours through Crimea. They will be given a steady dose of lectures on topics like “the geopolitical situation” and “traditional values.” In addition to a regular flag-raising ceremony, they will be introduced to lessons celebrating Russia’s “rebirth” under President Vladimir V. Putin.

And, according to legislation signed into law by Mr. Putin on Thursday, all Russian children will be encouraged to join a new patriotic youth movement in the likeness of the Soviet Union’s red-cravatted “Pioneers” — presided over by the president himself.

The nationwide education initiatives, which start in September, are part of the Russian government’s scramble to indoctrinate children with Mr. Putin’s militarized and anti-Western version of patriotism, illustrating the reach of his campaign to use the war to further mobilize Russian society and eliminate any potential dissent.“

Putin’s youth?

This should maybe be in the inflation thread but it is also a US-Canada issue:

“In a recent working paper, three researchers at the U.S. Federal Reserve dissect the role of fiscal stimulus in today’s inflation shock. They note that a “generous” response to the pandemic, particularly from the U.S. government, led to an increase in demand for goods that was not matched by supply – and ultimately spilled into other countries.

For Canada, the knock-on effects were sizable. The annual inflation rate in February, 5.7 per cent, was about four percentage points higher than in recent history. Of that “excess inflation,” U.S. fiscal stimulus contributed about 2.3 percentage points, the Fed researchers estimate, pointing out that the impact was much bigger in Canada than elsewhere.

“Canada, a country with strong trade links with the U.S., features a high level of excess inflation related to exposure to foreign fiscal stimulus,” they wrote.”

Full article below.

I like the headline!

2 Likes

Maybe set it to music with some animation.