Can you name a company that failed because they couldn't protect their secrets?

Woah, if Exam 9 taught us anything it’s that the market is efficient and that them hedge funds are just gambling. Wasn’t there that little side panel comparing monkeys with darts vs hedge fund performance or something like that

1 Like

Every successful hedge fund is very successful for a certain period of time until the marketplace eventually figures out what they’re doing. But during a certain time period, they can make a shit ton of money. That’s the basis of market efficiency.

Imagine you can find some kind of statistical anomaly in the market, you can become an instant multi-milliionaire. If your secret comes out, you will never see a dime since the market will correct that anomaly.

that’s possible but you can still kill a business. Imagine a large tech firm steals the weights from a smaller company whose business and financing depends entirely on those weights. That smaller firm is dead and disappears before they can even improve the existing model. These things happen all the time. The ability of a smaller firm to grow and improve its own tech is very much dependent on how its early stage tech survives.

I think the church of scientology was seriously hurt by the details about some of their secret texts coming out through discovery from court cases. then south park and hbo made these ideas better known. scientology is still around but my understanding is that it so not nearly what it once was.

Limitless paper in a paperless world.

2 Likes

not sure what constitutes “secrets”, but many times i have seen commercials for a product, then a big player seems to come out with the same thing, flood the airwaves and people forget who did it first.

I can’t name them because i can’t remember them

Will Lume’ keep a market share with bigger deoderant brands going full body? or who started the flexible back sneakers Sketchers has taken off with?

and those are just recent ones

I don’t know if that counts as “revealing secrets” by this point so much as “distributing an understandable example of commonly-understood AI methodology.”

Translated to actuarial pricing, less “here is the inner workings of our rating algorithm” and more “here’s how a rating factor applies to a base rate.”

When I worked in sales if you gave me the underlying pricing structure and the client list of my competitors most of them would have been out of business in short order.

Nah if the competitors weren’t so shitty to their customers their customers wouldn’t have moved.

Not necessarily true. I know someone who works is a doctor and when he switched hospitals he ported his phone number to his own account so that all of his patients will follow him. The hospital changed their policy shortly after this incident.

Hospital didn’t pay the doctor enough and/or was shitty to the doctor. If they had treated him better he would have stayed. Then their patients would have stayed.

1 Like

I know a lot of small puzzle designers. It’s pretty common for them to have their IP stolen by a Chinese company that makes it with cheaper labor and lower quality. The funniest are jigsaw puzzles where the thief copied a photo of their puzzle, and it’s exactly the same puzzle except in the corner where there was a hand in the photo, where it suddenly gets clunky and dumb, instead of being nicely designed.

Some of the sales to the Chinese company are to people who would never have paid the us/german/dutch company’s price. But yeah, it reduces their profits. Many of them are basically hobbyists and continue to design new puzzles despite not making much money on it. Others are small companies. Yeah, I’d guess some fail as a result. It certainly makes the landscape hard for small puzzle designers.

1 Like

Even with all of that, the hospital would have retained their patients w/o the phone number switcharoo

I thought Ray Kroc bought out the McDonald’s brothers.

Since the brothers did not want to scale up. They just like making good fries and burgers.
Eventually they opened up a new fast food joint and then a McDonald’s opened across the street from them and put them out of business.

1 Like

The secret sauce are the weights not the actual algorithm. And in order to get the weights you need good training data. The big tech firms are very protective of their data and the weights. The algorithms they use are pretty standard. In fact, they usually open source their libraries. They will never open source the weights or the data.