Bye, bye Dilbert

Sort of. The ADL says that the phrase “It’s OK to be white” and the OK finger symbol for white supremacy both started as 4chan hoaxes in 2017, and were adopted by white supremacists later.

1 Like

I hadn’t realized the phrase “It’s OK to be white” was something actually used by white supremacists. Given that, I think it is reasonable for black people to take offense at the question "Do you agree or disagree with this statement: “It’s OK to be white.” " and can’t blame someone for saying they disagree with it.

3 Likes

I hadn’t either. That affects the interpretation of that statement.

2 Likes

In addition to the big papers that already severed ties to Adams, his distributor announced yesterday that they will no longer work with him:

72/53 is not such a wide cut imo. Do 28% of white people think it’s not okay to be white? Or did they just find the question confusing?

Either way, it’s not wide enough to brand black people as a “hate group”.

Googling further… It’s also misleading due to the fact that there’s a “not sure”.

“It’s okay to be white.”
72% of Americans agree, 12% disagree
69% of Democrats agree, 12% disagree

“Black people can be racist, too”
79% of Americans agree, 12% disagree
71% of Democrats agree, 19% disagree

BLACK AMERICANS ONLY:
“It’s okay to be white.”
53% agree, 26% disagree, 21% not sure

“Black people can be racist, too”
76% of agree, 27% disagree, 8% not sure.

2 Likes

Or did they react to the apparent link between that statement and white supremacists, noted a few posts above?

I know that I probably would answer “no” if I was asked whether I agreed with the statement “work sets you free” because of certain associations with that phrase. Now that I’ve been informed “it’s OK to be white” as a certain unsavory association, I probably would react similarly.

It’s an obscure meme. I tend to assume that average people are even less aware than I am about random shit like that.

1 Like

Interesting. So, context matters once again.

I guess I need to bone up on what all has been co-opted by white supremacists. Should I do that on the internet, or just take a quick trip out to the rural parts of my state (KS)?

I wonder if black people might be generally more aware.

I would be surprised if either was significant. It sounds like a thing that 1% of the population knows about, and that those people are all hyper-informed internet people.

I would probably disagree with the statement, only because no one (or very few) has a choice in the matter, so “being OK with it” is irrelevant.
It’s a very shitty poll question. Some might interpret that as, “It’s OK for me to be white.” A black person might say, no thanks, “I’m black this long, and I’m sticking with it.”
So, instead of misinterpreting poll results, I’m going with shitty question.

6 Likes

Dilbert is one of the first things I read in my morning Globe and Mail. No Dilbert this morning and no explanation. Assuming he has been yanked from Canada’s largest daily paper.

As Arthuritas posted, it is no longer just individual papers or chains: his distributor also severed ties with him.

If nobody’s buying, there’s not much point for a distributor.

1 Like

This is true for the US but Canadian situation is different (I was referring to a Canadian newspaper.) There is a different distributor in Canada for Dilbert and it was the Canadian newspapers not the distributor that dropped him today in Canada.

from Elon Musk calls media ‘racist’ after companies pull Dilbert comic strip - MarketWatch

:laughing: Yes, enough people just love Dilbert to subscribe to your website to read it.

Honestly, I thought it was an okay comic, sometimes it gave a chuckle, sometimes fell flat. Calvin and Hobbes it is not.

1 Like

I enjoyed it but certainly not enough to subscribe to his website.

2 Likes

Same; I thought it was one of the better comic strips, but I don’t need to support it if the guy is now racist / now revealing his racism.

1 Like

Elon who? Never heard of him.

2 Likes