Bridge: 2021 District 4 MSC (now also 2024)

1A No, prefer Five clubsEven tho most play that 3NT denies a side A or K, there’s some merit to opening 3NT. With 9 clubs and the diamond K, I’m going to open 5, since I would so hate to pass if they bid 4 of a major over my 3NT.
1B Five clubs. Not out of the question to bid only 3C (or 2C, or even pass) now, just bidding minimum number of clubs each time thereafter, up to 5 clubs, unless partner made a strong bid. Danger is not being dropped in 4 C or lower, but that opponents will know you always intended to bid 5C and will have exchanged more information.

I don’t see any merit to opening 3N with a 9-card suit (unless it were forcing, but it wouldn’t be here).

Alas, on part A the panel barely preferred 1C to 5C, 6 to 5, with solvers (entrants) preferring it 24 to 10. So 50 for 1C, 40 for 5C. On part B, 5C now got 9 panelist votes, with nothing else more than 2, and 28 solver votes, nothing else more than 5.

So 90 points for me, for answers that were almost worth 100. As I’ve said before, scoring of non-winners is always generous, here even more than usual. To quote the moderator,

The May problem.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.06.11 PM

Tough with those honors in the short suits. Clear to make a strong rebid, even though the stiff K may be worthless. But which strong call? 3C is too much, IMO. 3D is possible, but we don’t want to miss a vul game. 2NT might be enough, but if we can’t make 3NT we might not even make 2. So I’m leaning toward 3NT.

3C. Show that strength and a good second suit. If he has partial stoppers in the majors he can take us to 3NT.

It seems like the reasonable bids are 2C, 3D, and 3N. 2C would be more appealing at neither, where it would be unlikely to be passed out. 3D is a more sensible invite than 2N as it’s probably safer, but it doesn’t get clubs into the picture. 3N is very tempting. I have some sympathy for 3C, but frankly there’s just not enough play for 5-minor opposite most 1N responses to justify it. Hence it would only be my 4th choice.

Ouch. Forgot to post the results. 2C was the 100-point award, with 6 of 14 panelists and 24 of 49 solvers. 3C and 3D scored 90. Everything else scored 80.

The June problem:

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 11.45.46 AM

3NT has some appeal. Opener surely doesn’t have running clubs. Partner may have a stopper, or they could block.

Pass is not inconceivable, as partner should be playing us for some values. But 11 working HCP is definite extras.

4S (or even 4H) is a 4-3 could be best, and partner might even have 4, but if I bid them he will expect at least 5

Strongly leaning toward 3NT.

Tough. I don’t love any bid. What would 4C mean? If it is an artificial, strength showing bid, that would be my choice. Without knowing that for sure, I would likely opt for 3S. It may promise 5, but I have a very strong 4. Tempted by 3H, to leave room for spades, but the suit isn’t strong enough. 3NT seems very risky without a club stopper, to me.

I am also a 3S bidder. Cue-bidding would be nice but gets us beyond 3N. A strong four-card suit with the ruff taken in the short hand is fine for a 4-3 fit. And I don’t want to put everything in the 3NT basket. I also think “Opener surely doesn’t have running clubs” is just wrong. We know AKJxxxx will run unless RHO is void, and there’s no reason that wouldn’t be a 3C opening.

If partner bids 4D over 3S, pass, 4H, and 5D will all be options.

3S (which I chose) got the top score, with 6 (of 13) panelist votes and 8 (of 43) solver votes. 90 points to pass (2 panelists, 11 solvers). Only 270 points to 3NT (0 panelists, 2 solvers)

Any discussion of 4C?

4C and 4D each got 80 points. 4C had 2 panelist votes and 8 solver votes.

Here is a link to all the discussion. https://files.constantcontact.com/2bd6acd1101/e4ae4f5d-2af8-4b92-bcaf-dd0137c02d7e.pdf

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 12.17.49 PM

Looks like only 3 possible choice (assuming we aren’t going to consider a psychic 3D). I don’t think we’ll consider pass and 4C since at least one game is extremely likely. Lot to be said for 3NT: might be cold, or they might not find a diamond lead. Or 5C could be the only makeable game, or might make 12 tricks. 3H? We introduced a 4 card major last month and it got the top score, but it doesn’t look right here, though if he has the heart J and a stiff diamond it could be a super spot.

3D should be some form of Ogust here. You know partner has a bad suit. If he also has a bad hand, you can stop in 4 or 5 clubs. If he has “scattered values”, he gets to play 3N (the bid that shows that). With all your high cards in the majors, “scattered values” likely includes something in diamonds.

Without that agreement this feels like a tossup between 3N and 5C. I don’t like 3H. While it’s true that 4H may play well in a 4-3 fit, it may get you to a 4-2 fit. But it’s not a terrible call.

I lean toward 3NT. P may have a diamond stopped, and even if he doesn’t, opponents may not lead diamonds, thinking you are more likely to be weak in a major. 5C is probably the “safest” bid.

Also, the opponents may run diamonds but they may break 4-4 or 4-3.

I went with “Three notrump. It might be the best spot. When not best, they may not lead a diamond. Hammond knows best.”

3NT, chosen by 7 of 13 panelists, did get the top score. 90 points for 3H. 80 for 5C and 6C.