Bridge: 2021 District 4 MSC (now also 2024)

I picked 3S at matchpoints and 4S at IMPs.

3H was worth 50 at watchpoints and imps. 4S was worth 40 at each (the only choice worth 40). At both scoring, 3H had a majority of panelists and 4S had a plurality of solvers.

Hard to imagine anything except 1S or 1NT, maybe 2C is not totally off the wall since it is our longest suit. Leaning toward 1S since I donā€™t want to tempt partner to bid hearts.

Iā€™d probably bid 1S also, and I agree that 1N is the second choice. However, my third choice would be double (planning to rebid 1N over 1H). Upgrading due to the good controls and the singleton makes more sense than bidding 2C.

I would have bid 2C before reading your responses.

In terms of calls that should be in the running, weā€™ve mentioned four of them. Iā€™d put pass fifth, but if you reversed the majors I might well put it first.

September 2022 Problems

Problem Answer / Comments
1 One spadeClose between 1S and 1NT, but I donā€™t want to give partner any encouragement to bid hearts. If he raises spades with 3, good chance itā€™s ok.

Name: Steve White

Ouch. Only 80 points for 1S, chosen by only 1 panelist (and 4 solvers including me). 100 points for 1NT, chosen by 7 (and 16 solvers). 90 for pass, chosen by 2 (and 6 solvers).

Interestingly, the moderator did a 32 deal simulation, with these results

Player Result

1. Sue Spades 60.5%
  2. Charlie Clubs 52.9%
  3. Peter Pass 47.8%
  4. Nancy Notrump 38.5%

Vindication, but no points

It says Matchpoints. Can there be any choice except 3NT?

Doesnā€™t 3H pose precisely the right question to partner?

Does 3H mean you have a heart stopper? What would 3S mean? No stoppers to bid? Presumably forcing, at least? If the bot notes would be ā€œStopper in hearts, forcing to 3NTā€ then 3H seems strongest.

Who knows? You canā€™t always have the perfect hand for your bids, and partnerā€™s jump in diamonds was unexpected. Presumably 3S would show you have exactly 3 spades, and since 1NT was strong and 3D presumably strong it would be forcing. You should have at least 1 stopper in hearts. You have not promised a stopper in clubs. So VVVā€™s theory, I believe, is that 3H would say you donā€™t have a stopper in clubs. He could well be right about that meaning. OTOH, 3NT MIGHT be right if partner does not have a club stopper either. They havenā€™t bid clubs, so possibly neither has 5, or LHO may lead his partnerā€™s heart suit anyway

When partner has bid spades, then diamonds with a jump, he likely has 9 cards in those suits. No one raised or rebid hearts, so he might well have 3 (or more) hearts, and 1 (or fewer clubs). The more total clubs the opps have, the more likely that LHO will lead them.

If partner has 5 (or more) spades, then 3S now will work best. But if he doesnā€™t heā€™ll be guessing.

Iā€™m leaning toward 3H now.

3H means ā€œI donā€™t know whatā€™s rightā€. Partner already knows you have 2-3 spades (or stiff honor) and the only potential unstopped suit is clubs. At any rate, partner has a shapely handā€“6D may be making with 3N going off. Iā€™m not only trying to get to 3N opposite Jxxx xx Kxxxx Kx, but also to slam opposite QJxx xxx Kxxxx x. 3H should make partner appreciate a club stopper for reason X and club shortness for reason Y.

Fortunately VVV persuaded me to go with 3H, worth 100. 3N would have been only 80, pretty much eliminating me from this yearā€™s contest. With 2 months to go, Iā€™m tied for 3/4, 10 points behind the people tied at 1/2. Not sure where anyone stands on dropped scores (the lowest 2 scores for the year get dropped. Current standings are based on dropping the worst 2 of the first 8. So anyone with 2 90ā€™s dropped so far is in better shape than someone with at least one 80 dropped. Dropped scores can get used in the tiebreak.

Initially I was going to double on each, likely picking up slightly over those who passed 4S. Now Iā€™m less certain of it, for either scoring. At matchpoints you expect 4H would have made, and if so you wonā€™t beat 4S X by more than the value of the game. To take an extreme, if no other tables would bid 4S, you would be bette to bid 5H, since it might make and would lose no matchpoints if it didnā€™t. Still, at least some other tables will be in 4S, so probably right to double.

Imps is even more complicated. There is at least some chance 5H makes, plus some slight risk 4S will make. If either makes, bidding 5H is a significant gain, and not a big loss if each is down 1.

Thereā€™s also the matter of whether to bid 5H or 5D if you bid on. You probably prefer a D lead vs 5SX

Presumably 3H by partner was a preempt? In which case I am far less confident than you that 4Sx would not get punished. I would probably pass in both situations. And I love doubling.

Typo? You probably mean you are not confident that 4Sx would get punished. Conceivably it will make, especially if partner happens to have 4 diamonds, but the odds are very good (IMO) that 4S is going down at least 1, in which case doubling is a slight plus compared to passing. Partner did bid 3H at unfavorable, so heā€™s likely to have something.

Saying the same thing. That we wouldnā€™t get punished for doubling. They arenā€™t vulnerable, so 4S-1 and 4Sx-1 is only a 50 point difference, right? Vs a much bigger difference than 4S= and 4Sx=.