Boycotting American companies that continue to do business in Russia

Say Russia seizes U.S. assets. If they do that, nothing keeps us from doing the same thing. They very likely have more assets here than American companies have there. Throw in the EU if it decides to do the same, and Russia’s in a yet deeper hole. How long do Russian oligarchs put up with their net wealth cratered on two fronts, knowing that Putin is likely only going to recoup pennies on the dollar?

Seized Russian assets could be sold and proceeds disbursed to (1) those who’ve lost assets in Russia, and (2) the Ukranian government for current defense needs and future rebuilding. Even if a China or a Saudi Arabia tries to launder money back to Russia, they could still end up funding Russia’s declared enemy. At some point, Russia runs out of seized assets to swap; does it then start selling off the country, and if so, at what cost?

I think the real question is when the oligarchs start losing their assets back to Putin and the state and how long before they finally stand up and demand an end to things, be it the war or Putin’s reign. Yeah, I think they’re getting crammed somewhat by their assets in the West being frozen, but they’re not losing anything per se - they’re just not able to have a billionaire’s lifestyle right now. If they start losing their wealth in the mother land along with future access to more wealth, that’s a direct threat to them ad I don’t see them just rolling over and taking it.

Yes, it’s hard to find a winning strategy here.

I vote for messaging, I also worry about lobbying. If American businesses keep seeing profit opportunities in Russia they will lobby to get to “normal” long before the facts in Ukraine justify that. If they’ve walked away from there profit and Russia seized their assets, they are more likely to take the loss and move on to other things.

1 Like

Maybe not the entire billionaire’s lifestyle. But I’ve read that some have yachts docked in the Maldives and others a living in luxury in Dubai.

Restaurant Brands International finding it impossible to shut down Burger King in Russia because of local partner resistance. In any event, Russians will probably never see Tim Horton’s there unless they call it Alexander Ovechkin’s.

New fast food chain in Russia “Uncle Vanya’s” applies for copyright:

https://new.fips.ru/registers-doc-view/fips_servlet?DB=RUTMAP&rn=3512&DocNumber=2022715219&TypeFile=html

(In the Cyrillic alphabet, the letter that makes the “V” sound looks much like our “B”.)

Also: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/18/uncle-vanya-russian-mcdonalds-replacement-logo/

US divestment in fast food chains in Russia will be symbolic gesture at best.

I agree. But, I still think it is the right thing to do. If US firms all walk away from their investments in Russia, they will be far less likely to lobby to get back into Russia as soon as there is a glimmer of a fig leaf. That’s good.

2 Likes