Biden's "Crisis" at the US-Mexico Border

And none of that involves the members of congress who could do something about the situation.

In regards to the recent immigrant dump, nice and Christianly…

https://twitter.com/kannoyoungs/status/1570493342861131778?s=46&t=9oaAA_8LmBpDoAr9_wz08w

Members of the Biden White House were particularly frustrated that Fox News had apparently been alerted, but not the city government or nonprofit organizers waiting for any potential migrants at Union Station.

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1570906193832603648?t=DjR4xk5JpYnOTBgROkQhGQ&s=19

The rich, liberal “people of Martha’s Vineyard” DEPORTED THE ILLEGAL ALIENS WITHIN 24 HOURS.

Glad to know that @aoc now tells us that’s “what the best of America looks like :us:”!

1 Like

Apparently FL paid an Oregon company $615,000 to transport the 48 migrants from TX to MA. It was a preemptive strike as maybe they might have eventually come to FL.

1 Like

The company contracted to fly the migrants just pulled down their website. Reportedly they were a 4 person company with this bonus.

1 Like

Genius desantis spends like 13k a person to fly them charter rather than organize economy to send them someplace planned ahead of time (that is also happy to accept them). And MAGA idiots on Twitter think he’s brilliiant because each one of those migrants may have cost twice as much on state support.

1 Like

It’s clearly a publicity stunt by DeSantis and I’m not trying to say otherwise. But do governors in border states have the option to bus all of the migrants that come into their states to military bases like Martha’s Vineyard did? And the military bases will take all of the migrants?

Because if it’s that easy… why are the border states upset? Something tells me that they don’t have the options that Martha’s Vineyard does and the military isn’t taking on all of the immigrants awaiting hearings in Texas and Arizona.

No, not a specific thread here or on reddit (i don’t land on reddit much if at all - mostly electric vehicle links if I do get there). I read nbcnews / cnn / bbc / theguardian for national/international stuff, and listen to NPR in the car. (A coworker recently mentioned a aggregator site that was supposed to curate decently, but I forgot the name!) What I mean by that quote was now articles give more coverage to what happens once asylum seekers arrive after they are processed. They have humanitarian needs and there are a lot of people. DC mayor felt the need was so great the National Guard should be mobilized. If a big city like DC doesn’t have the resources to handle the (relatively) small number being sent on buses, what does it mean for small border towns?

As far as the transport issue goes, based on the articles, at least some asylum seekers are happy about getting a free ride. Many are trying to connect with friends and relations who are already here and can help get them started. Yep politicians gonna politic, but we can either respond like they wish or choose our own focus.

2 Likes

My assumption would be that these immigrants are being treated special, first by the people pulling the stunt, and second by the people receiving the stunt. Neither is going to be a sustainable practice.

3 Likes

It’s certainly not sustainable - but I don’t think that’s the long term plan for anybody. Sure it’s costing an excessive bunch of money/migrant right now. I think the idea is to raise the profile of the issue/problem/concerns, so that the the country stops playing this ridiculous charade that the border is secure, and forcing millions of people to risk life, limb and forune by crossing through the desert at great peril to themselves and their families.

How does claiming a border is secure force millions to cross the desert? Or maybe Republicans claiming it’s open is encouraging them?

If the only way the governor of one of the most populous states to get attention is to pull a political stunt involving trafficking humans, they might be a good politician, but they seem like shitty leaders.

1 Like

I think a lot of people would agree it’s not secure, and that we should do something about it, but we’re not exactly sure what. There’s a lot of disagreement, both over the size of the problem and the solutions.

But it’s a good conversation to have I think, especially now that Trump is (momentarily) a distant memory. It’s definitely a partisan issue, but it doesn’t need to be extremely partisan, like guns or abortion. It’s fundamentally an economic problem, when you scrape away the culture war nonsense.

It’s easier for politicians to be rewarded (i.e. re-elected) by “throwing bombs” at the other party rather than truly working towards a bi-partisan solution. I know that’s not any great insight, but it’s reality, especially in today’s hyper-partisan environment. The conversations only happen when the situation becomes a crisis. I think DeSantis and Abbott are ramping up the situation towards crisis mode, but I don’t think we’re there yet, not even close. Unfortunately I think we’ve still got a long way to go.

It’s true that it’s a way for a non-Trump Republican to make the front page about a legitimate issue. Which I guess is something.
Currently the Republican party platform is “re-elect Trump” and DeSantis’ campaign is nothing but anti-gay, anti-abortion, and anti-anti-racism. Anti-immigration is relatively positive.

So what is Abbot’s plan. Can I look at his proposed solution somewhere? Same for DeSantis.

Cuz all I see are the stunts. If we are trying to raise the topic, then let’s see some some suggestions. It’s not much of a dialogue if no one is putting anything on the table other than whining.

Abbott has been bussing migrants for a while now. I guess if he drops them off across from the vps house rather than another part of DC to raise awareness, that’s not as terrible as randomly dropping them off somewhere to own the libs, which is all desantis’ goal seemed to be.

The difference is democrats aren’t really offering solutions either. But in this stalemate, it’s the border states that are suffering. So yeah, Abbott is doing this out of spite, but it’s actually brilliant. Hopefully this will force democrats to come to the table and work out a solution together.

As long as the individuals he is sending are not being lied to. If they are being treated on both ends as human beings, it might be an acceptable stunt.

Imo, the proper behavior is for the side with the issue to propose a solution, and for the other side to accept it or come up with something better.

Demanding that your opponent solve your problem for you is a good way to never have an acceptable solution.