Biden SOTU 22

His speech was pretty good from what I could tell. I think he is definitely handling this Ukrainian War well so far. I am kind of meh on a lot of the other stuff Liberals are trying to pursue right now except maybe some regulations around carbon emissions. Still think a carbon tax is the best option. Start medium and grow to punitive over the course of 10-20 years. I think economically that would spur phenomenal economic growth in the US as we shifted our economy to carbon free.

2 Likes

That’s what made them “great”. We need to make more of that again…

Completely agree. That, and using political capital to change public opinion to be friendlier to nuclear.

1 Like

I don’t understand the extremely negative opinions towards nuclear power. It’s going to be necessary if we want to get off of fossil fuels at some point in the future.

If you’re referencing the US with having this negative opinion . . .

Three Mile Island (1979) put many off of it (especially in the East).

Chernobyl (1986) didn’t help matters all that much either.

I’ll make sure one is built in your backyard.
That said, 100 miles south of the Mexican Border (or, say, 100 miles north of the Canadian Border) are great options.

Or this lesser known one:

Or, all these on this list:

The list of accidents is basically things that can happen in any industrial like setting. People having heavy objects fall on them or falling into unmarked holes.

The bottom line is that if we are serious about eliminating the use of fossil fuels so that the planet doesn’t become inhospitable to humans, we will need to use nuclear power.

1 Like

Your second paragraph is overly simplistic. Nuclear certainly can help on the path to eliminating fossil fuels, but there are paths there which do not require nuclear. Expensive paths that will take decades, but paths nonetheless.

Bump for 2024.

MTG is wearing a MAGA hat in defiance of the house rules.

Ugh but she does have a reputation to uphold.

Mike Johnson looks so uncomfortable trying to sit there and oppose things he knows he shouldn’t be against.

I’m not watching it, but did see footage of Santos in the building.

Mike Johnson is clapping in support for many things, but it’s hard to tell as he’s keeping his hands below the desk. Manufacturing jobs paying 100k? Looks like he’s against it. Not sure if this is intentional.

LOL @ “You get 10% fewer Snickers in it”

I don’t usually watch the SOTU speech but this one was more important than most so watched it all. I thought Joe came across forcefully and did much better than I expected.

Biden did extremely well last night. His biggest requirement was to sound with it enough to counter the “too old” polls that have been taking over lately and he definitely met the moment. The Republican response struck a very weird tone. Could have been an SNL skit if the content was funny (it wasn’t).

Johnson says that there is almost nothing in SOTU speech that Republicans can agree to. So all that talk about fighting cancer, protecting IVF, funding police to fight crime, securing the border, lowering the national debt, legalizing pot, etc is off the table?

They disagree the government should be involved in many of those things. Plus we need more guns and Jesus.

But not “that” Jesus. You know, not the one that fed the hungry, took care of the poor. No, the one that advocated putting children in cages, for example.