Biden hits a home run with Russia

That was a “should”, not a “do”.

It sounds like maybe you don’t understand me?

We have security clearances so that individuals don’t sell or give away our information. Doesn’t mean a country can’t choose to make information public. Obviously we do choose to leak or declassify some things, when we see it’s in our best interest.

I don’t agree with you on this. There is a reason why countries keep secrets from each other, and why countries spy on each other to try to intercept those secrets. Nothing will ever change this.

And you are welcome to your opinion.

I agree that it won’t change. Doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t.

I don’t really even know what this means. In some fantasy/ideal world, it wouldn’t, but since that does not exist, it isn’t worth any time thinking about, and we instead need to accept the reality that we live in.

It’s kind of like saying “wars shouldn’t happen”, or “pets shouldn’t die”. Because they will happen, we have to accept that reality and live with it the best we can.

ETA: I didn’t mean this to sound insulting, but I just don’t know what we can possibly do in the world about things that “should” or “shouldn’t” happen. There “shouldn’t” be despots that rule the Third World, but there are, and the US frequently either gets or bed with them, overthrows them, or both at intervals not too far from each other.

Such a world certainly won’t exist if nobody tries for it.

I agree that nobody will, and that it won’t. But they, and it, should.

Maybe sort of a “shoot for the stars, land on the moon” sort of thing.

Anyway - back to topic. The US should release what they have on Putin. If someone retaliates by releasing info on the US, so be it.

Be careful what you wish for.

In baseball, a manager can report another player for putting a foreign substance on the ball. But they NEVER do it… the reason why is because they know their own pitchers are doing the same thing, so everyone accepts it. (Incidentally, the league has said they want to crack down on it this year using electronic data)

But they SHOULD. That is what I’m saying. Managers who don’t report it are doing the wrong thing. The fact that they are all wrong together doesn’t make them right.

That is just a really, really bad analogy to support your position with.

It’s a great analogy. You can bet we’re holding back information because we know they’ve got dirt on us that we’d just as soon keep under wraps, too.

I know why we are holding back.

We still shouldn’t be holding back.