Best Elected Politicians with No Government Experience?

Carmel is a fairly major tourist city for anyone travelling from SF to LA

Pretty sure you have to be an inexperienced politician before you can be an experienced politician.

Where does Bush II rank

I think gubna of Tejas was his first political job

Does JFK count? Don’t think he had anything before being elected to the house.

does Eisenhower count, don’t believe he had office before President

I think being a 5-star General counts as “government experience”.

He was in the National Guard.

He was in the Navy.

Lol

I get that JFK towed a guy with his teeth or whatever but that’s not the same as holding a junior office or actual administrative position like city councilman.

That’s a good’n. I wouldn’t call him “good” but certainly got elected and made an impact, even if it was largely due to Cheney IMO.

as Governor?

1 Like

I meant Cheney being, I’d contend, co-President. I think W Bush truly wanted to do good but fell quite short. I was a bit too young to care about Governor of Texas at the time so can’t say about that without researching.

I admit to veering off the topic I created. Perhaps he was a great Governor.

I actually don’t know if he was a good Governor or not. Just saying for his first major position, he didn’t have Cheney in the shadows, or if he did I didn’t know about it

He didn’t, and he was considered a good governor, which is why he was in contention for the Presidential nomination. When their father was POTUS, Jeb was considered the more likely successor but then W came along and charmed everyone.

Cheney was added to the mix because W was considered weak on foreign policy. He won the nomination on the strength of his domestic agenda. Then 9/11 happened. Regardless, Cheney was selected because he filled in a gap.