Being told not to learn

Leaving a company/job because you’re stuck & can’t grow is reasonable. If you get a better deal elsewhere, go for it. Look out for yourself, because the company won’t. It’s just business.

If you’re the manager, you may be limited in your options of what you can do for your direct reports who are in such a situation. Not every situation is going to be “solvable”.

This place was also showing me their IBNR estimates. When I noticed a mathematical flaw in the method, their solution was to stop showing me the IBNR estimates.

4 Likes

:rofl: sounds in line with expectations

1 Like

Yeah, that was my thought. I’ve advised people who report to me to look for other jobs (internally) because the job they had wasn’t one that was going to meet their aspirations.

1 Like

I agree. I had an employee in a similar situation, and they were a little ahead of their time. I would have loved to keep the employee but I didn’t have a job available that fit their interests. I encouraged them to look both within and outside the company. I told them not to stay out of “loyalty”. Life’s too short. They left amicably for a job that was a better fit. And on the plus side, if that person ever needs a recommendation from me, they have it.

3 Likes