Attack on Kavanaugh

Yeah, I thought about that too. Like, if he had been arrested just before he turned himself in, then presumably he’d have committed a crime.

In any case this can’t be the first time this has happened…

By the way, googling “plotting to kill” is always pretty disturbing.

I definitely remember some of these (the Gov Whitmer plot) but others I missed, Incel dude with a bumpstock and bodyarmor, or the boogaloo dude with a grenade launcher and a machine gun.

Yes, I would certainly think so.

Not sure how Kavanaugh went down, but wasn’t there stuff all over the internet indicating a plot?

Here, it seems he never fired at anyone or attempted to fire at anyone and without additional evidence, you can’t assume his intent

I kind of feel like we should have a thread for plots to kidnap / assassinate government officials, since they have so much in common.

But then again, maybe it’s better to not systematically review the pros- and cons- of terrorist plans.

Some day these idiots are going to figure it out. :confused:

This post from earlier didn’t get moved with the others, but it belongs over here since the post it was responding to was moved.

Was in response to

I doubt the crazy SF ibogaine hippie would be charged with attempted murder if he had never entered the Pelosi house and, you know, hit Paul on the head with a hammer.

This is interesting. If there had been two people involved, they talked about how they would do it, and they carried out part of the plan, that would be “conspiracy to commit murder”. That’s the story that comes to my mind when I think about being charged with planning a murder.

But, if it is only one person, I’m not at all sure. I want to kill someone. I’ve never owned a gun, but I buy one for the sole purpose of murder. But, I don’t do anything with the gun other than buy it and take it home and store it there. …?

It may be that it is generally easier to prove intent when two people are involved than when only one is. It’s hard for the prosecutor to prove I was planning a murder if I didn’t talk to anyone about it. Even if I bought the gun with the intent of using it, maybe I had changed my mind before the police found out about the gun.

Yeah, when I googled “murder plots” I got “attempt” charges.

For example, this guy pled guilty to attempting a hate crime, despite not getting past the gun-purchase, military training, googling, and 4chan manifesto:

Lol:

The charging document claims Genco conducted surveillance at an Ohio university on Jan. 15, 2020. That same day, he allegedly searched online for topics including “how to plan a shooting crime” and “when does preparing for a crime become attempt?

Indy, in regard to your question, asking that question is evidence that you committed the crime that you’re asking if you are committing.

It’s especially confusing in this case, because apparently this guy did change his mind before the police found out about the gun?

sounds like nobody can be charged with the intent of murder until the murder actually happens.

Article doesn’t state the actual charges made on the individual; but based on “Welch pled guilty . . .”, I would surmise that a plea bargain was made to save time with a long, drawn out trial.