At what point do you leave a failing country?

Well, failed company and when I am leaving…

1 Like

I am sorry to hear that. I appreciate that many jobs can be done remotely but are you willing to relocate if that is your best option?

Country, company, everything is turning to custard.

2 Likes

I would eventually move to be at the office 100% for sure. I’d like to stay put for like 2-ish years (daughter is living with me while she’s in grad school).

Some companies that I’ve seen some FSA postings: NC Blue Cross, UPMC, a local broker, even what looks like my old job at Humana.

I read “local brewer.” No idea why!!

1 Like

About a week ago, Wegman’s had a job posting for an “actuary”.

If a grocery store wants an actuary, I suppose a brewer can want one too.

1 Like

“A guy who hauls away dead air conditioners. You know, an A/C-tuary.”

Labatts Brewing had an actuary here back in the day.

It is fairly common in Canada to see actuaries working in management positions in non-financial companies. Even I worked for 9 years for a multinational shoe manufacturer and retailer.

1 Like

A cordwainer???

2 Likes

I saw an ad recently for Ontario Power Generation looking for an actuary.

1 Like

I wish I had learned more about shoemaking when I was there but sadly I was not a true cordwainer.

Most of the managers running the individual country shoe operations had gone to Cordwainers College in London or a similar technical institutions. I was employed in the financial part of the business and would have needed to go to a cordwainers’ school for shoe-related training to get into general management.

The owner was a seventh generation Czech cobbler and frequently asked me how what I was doing was helping to make or sell shoes. He kept everyone’s focus on the product. They were willing to help me move into operations but I eventually decided to go to doing an actuarial job with Mercer given how much I had invested in becoming an actuary.

Mr. Bata was the most interesting person I ever had the pleasure to work with. Little known in the US, he and his shoes were household names throughout the rest of the world.

3 Likes

My employer (in Canada) interviewed a Canadian currently living in Scotland for a job. I ended up meeting with her for a bit. She’s trying to find a job outside the UK, because UK immigration is seemingly either anti-immigrant or anti-woman with children working. They denied her kid a visa, despite a signed co-parenting/custody agreement with her (ex?)-spouse(?) that allowed the child to leave Canada to move to the UK with her because she was choosing to move countries for work despite having a child, so clearly the child didn’t need to come with her/she was somehow a bad mother according to the immigration agent.

I’m not sure the UK’s demographic issues are going to be solved quickly with that kind of view towards professional women who choose to work after becoming mother’s.

2 Likes

Crazy expensive. I’ve heard of a few waste treatment projects in Canada that have been more than a billion dollars to complete recently. I think I saw one earlier today for close to $4 billion.

I don’t exactly know why they do this in the UK. I have seen this crop up many times now where a professional (who I assume makes decent money?) wants to move for a job in the UK but the immigration officer blocks her minor child from coming with her (its always “but they can stay with the father or even family” they don’t need to come).

I highly suspect there is an element of politics in these decisions (the home office is very toxic and attracts the nationalist type of public employee. And it has also been confirmed that they do have “targets” for immigration numbers, so many people get told “no” simply to meet those targets).

It is definitely top down. For example, politicians have also targeted international student visas. The result, the university sector is now in financial trouble because the whole system was being propped up by international student fees.

No, its not a new problem. But…because they have let very old infrastructure start failing (without proper maintenance or upgrades) due to the privatised nature of the services you end up with huge problems with sewage and water quality.

Here is a current case in the UK. This is linked to water treatment problems because not enough capacity. Water borne public health problems are basically going to increase with climate change goosing this along.

I’d assume her pay is good by UK standards. It was an ongoing professional position with the government. On the other hand when I was offered a similar job in the UK I was pretty disappointed with the pay offered relative to the cost of living compared to offers I received in other countries.

I’ve actually heard of this issue with sewage being released into rivers awhile back leading to problems. This is one of the stories I’d heard about where a sea swimmer sued the water company for los of amenity.

Fixing the problem can be expensive…

In this case, it sounded like the immigration agent had the discretion to decide that a child didn’t need to be with their mom even though there was a custodial agreement in place because she was choosing to move to a new country for work.

Lots of talk here that immigration has gone up after leaving the EU because more people coming in are coming from further away and bring their families with them. Before, we got many coming in from the EU who would not bring their families with them and commute home at the weekends.

So I’m sure that it comes from the top that we are not to let in children if it can be at all justified.