Are you happy as an actuary?

I’d easily find something else to fill my time. I would miss number crunching a little

I’d OD

agreed - I get plenty of time off and flexibility when working

No hobby would fill my time well

MBAs spend the whole day making PPTs or in meetings presenting PPTs. I’d probably hang myself if i had to do that everyday

1 Like

I don’t have that problem. I will not be one of those “can’t just not work!” retirees. I will have no job, no hobbies, and no travel plans, and it will be freaking fantastic.

my ultimate goal is not having to answer to anyone. Actuary is pretty close but still no cigar

Mostly happy. Would love to only work 3 days a week and aim for early retirement, but compared to food service or doing COBOL programming or worse, can’t complain about the pay vs. the effort.

My fantasy is I’ll go take history classes and that kind of thing at a university

To just be free to do nothing would be great for a week and then I’d get depressed

1 Like

I no longer really enjoy the actuary-ing part of being an actuary. I like the decision making part that comes after the actuary-ing.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re ready to work with me!

I’m happy that I do very little work and make a ton of money.

Am I happy with the nature of the job? No. But I think my nature is to not enjoy anything that is “work”.

Unless…my work involves looking at my portfolio and seeing how many millions I’ve made today, then that may be something that excites me. But alas, that’s not my job.

Happy enough most of the time.

Another of your posts prompted mine actually. I get to do a good bit of it where I am, but still have to do the tedious data stuff as well, which has grown stale pretty quickly.

Perhaps there’s a certain type of actuarial work you might enjoy more? I’ve found actuarial roles can vary pretty markedly across the different sorts, even within pricing it can vary a lot

I don’t disagree with this. Vertical pathways are clear and obvious, and work-life balance is currently very good, which is important with the young kiddos, so I’m not really shopping, but more deciding that I want to eventually hire ppl to do the stuff I don’t want to do so I can do more of the stuff I do want to do.

2 Likes

I envy you, then. I’ve asked for a roadmap for success at my company and I’m still waiting for it, three years later. Promotions in place aren’t a thing here.

Yes I consider it a massive and rare upside at the moment. Of course, I could end up getting completely shafted because hey, corporate world.

1 Like

Not actuarial specific, but being a decision maker is a good position. No boring data pulls, no analyses, just people presenting you with information and you make a few comments and that’s it.

2 Likes

What I’ve always said about the work is that in order to do it, you have to be bright enough to be somewhat bored by it. It’s not personally satisfying, but as pointed out, the pay to actual effort ratio is pretty damn good. I think being content with the work is more attainable than being “happy” with it
When I left I was thoroughly soured on it, but in retrospect that was mostly due to the physical toll commuting plus sitting at the desk had taken on my body and there weren’t enough remaining hours in the day to rehab that away. Working remote is a thousand times better.

2 Likes

I’m a romantic, and as such I wish had become a scientist or a teacher, or any other more romantic job. There’s nothing more unattractive than thinking and talking all the time about financials and regulation.

That’s not to say I would be more happy, but probably less empty.

Certainly actuarializing has done a good job of (more than) meeting my material needs while asking fairly little effort. I have aggressively rejected climbing the corporate ladder to focus on my life (and my posting!), and that’s worked out well.

A better compromise might have been programming or engineering. I dunno.