Are companies that don't give MLK Day off racist?

I see no difference in giving someone MLK off vs Christmas.

I am fine with companies not giving it off as long as there is some floating holiday aspect of their paid time off benefit.

I have worked for a company in the past that had no corporate holidays, and just gave everyone a larger PTO balance.
I think entry level there was around 28 days of PTO

I am not going to any MLK parades bc it’s cold. But I do think about him on this day. Actually I read a lot about the injustices faced by people of color in this country, not just on MLK day or Juneteenth or other specific days. And I do what I can to be a different person & treat all people with the dignity they deserve.

To be honest, I tend to not go to parades and especially not during global pandemics—unless my Shriner BIL is in the parade.

2 Likes

It’s still a state holiday in Alabama and Mississippi. I don’t live in either of those places so I don’t know if the average person living there is aware of that fact.

1 Like

That is wrong on so many levels. They probably do know. My mom knew bc it was a day off school for my siblings.

1 Like

Yes yes they are.

Depends on the type of company. If you’re referring to white collar, non-essential jobs, well, probably. The local 7-11? it won’t be closed. When I worked hourly, I’d get 1.5-times pay at places that were open for other holidays, like Memorial Day and Presidents’ Day (long time ago, when I actually got that day off), cuz, sale days!

I have worked for 5 insurance companies. Two of them were owned by non-insurance entities and there were very limited holidays. The other 3 were just insurance companies and generally had most of the holidays.

I don’t think I have ever gotten MLKjr Day off but that is mostly because it falls right in the heart of annual statement work.

My current company does not give MLKjr Day off but beginning this year will be giving Juneteenth off.

And I’m wondering what states actually require companies to pay time and a half for working a company/state/federal holiday. My wife works for the state and she has to work many holidays and usually is given another day that week off as compensation or can put it in a bank to be used later, but she doesn’t get any extra pay for working the holiday itself.

Depending on the job, there might be days you really don’t WANT people coming in to work. Like in a public-facing role such as retail or a call center you need a minimal staff available to “open the doors” so to speak. And if most employees want the day off then you may as well just give them all the day off.

Actuarial is not really one of those roles, however. But many actuarial employers will have people in those types of roles. Such as claims analysts and call center employees.