Applied

aaaaa

It’s normal. But it’s understandable you’d be annoyed, especially if you’re trying to escape your manager because s/he sucks.

Confront it like you got caught jerking it, eye contact and don’t blink.

1 Like

aaaaa

Actually at my old company it’s required to tell your manager if you’ve made it to the final interview round internally.

1 Like

aaaaa

I saw that

Your ninja delete I mean

aaaaa

I assume this is a large company where a lot of managers are friends with each other.

If I’m friends with your manager and I’m the hiring manager, then yeah, I’d gossip. If I don’t know your manager, I wouldn’t reach out at all.

1 Like

aaaaa

1 Like

i was in a big box company once, and my direct manager knew I wasn’t too happy. they asked me to just inform them if I was interviewing for another position internally. I applied, but hadn’t been interviewed, when my direct manager said they’d heard that I’d applied. Made it seem like I shouldn’t have done that without informing them. I’m like, “hey, you said if I interviewed, I haven’t even gotten anything on the schedule yet.” big box politics are not my thing.

1 Like

aaaaaa

At an old company of mine, you, the employed applicant, were required to inform your own manager about pursuing internal jobs BEFORE you applied for them.
So, it would be another type of cat/mouse game, where you drop the info casually, “Hey, Boss, DifferentBoss has an opening and that sounds interesting. Do you mind if I apply?” And they can not refuse your request. But, will they be butthurt? Maybe. Will their life have more work, replacing you? Probably.

“Somehow I feel I am at least partially responsible.” – Michael Scott

In my company, everyone in the group would know that you’d applied. In fact, your manager probably would’ve already recommended you to the hiring manager prior to the job being posted. We’re a smallish company that encourages people to move around and try different positions.
We’d also welcome the person back to our team if they decided they didn’t like the new job as well as the old.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes_cat: Are you guys hiring?

People generally leave bosses and not jobs. I’d never check with a current boss when I’m interviewing since there are way too many bosses that will start to treat (or escalate) their employee like crap. I don’t think I’d want to work for a boss who reached out to my boss either. It suggests to me that the boss isn’t looking out for my interests. I have explicitly told a hiring manager during an interview to contact my boss to learn more about me if they wanted. That is the only exception in my mind.

5 Likes

I’d say this is pretty normal at the big companies I’ve worked at. My last company had a rotation program for early career actuaries so conversations about good fits between managers was frequent. If possible, seems like a good idea to have an informal discussion about the position with the hiring manager before you actually apply.

I’m at a medium box company. Applied for a few positions. My manager knew each time. One bc higher ups had me in mind. The other two bc I told. If you can’t tell your boss you are looking in your own company then I hope you are looking elsewhere. It’s not personal it’s business.

Of course, it took me about 20 years to figure that out.

Now I have people. I try to know what their aspirations are. If I can help them get there I will. Even if it means they leave my team. It’s not all about me.

4 Likes

:heart_eyes_cat: Are you guys hiring?

2 Likes

This is common but I maintain that it is a dumb policy. If the person gets the job, sure, make a transition plan. But I think you risk losing people to external opportunities when you don’t allow them to apply for internal opportunities confidentially.

For example, I once was interested in an internal opportunity, but i wasn’t sure I was qualified for it - I was kind of borderline - so I thought there was a high chance I wouldn’t get it. I didn’t want to tell my manager I was applying internally, get turned down, and then be seen as a flight risk by my current manager. If seen as a flight risk, I might not get interesting projects or many growth opportunities in my current role. A good manager won’t do this but not all managers are good. So I ended up looking exclusively at external opportunities to avoid that conversation.

3 Likes