Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

usually i just need to readjust the electric eyes

It’ll go down about a foot, then come back up, as if there’s an obstacle. Usually if it’s the lazerz it just won’t move at all. Also, if I manually close it, it will open all the way just fine.

Some garage door openers have a resistance tolerance for reversal that you can adjust. It might be that this particular point has crossed that tolerance, and either you check for obstructions and/or lubricate at that point to reduce resistance, or you dial up the tolerance to get past it.

1 Like

Like physically? Or the automatic stuff isn’t operating correctly?

The former, that sux. The latter, first world problems.

Still washing all the dishes. At least i have an appointment for a new dishwasher to be installed, now. In a week.

I don’t like washing dishes.

1 Like

I had the same thing happening about 2 years ago. The problem was that the rollers hadn’t been lubricated in some time so one side was creating drag which caused the door to descend unevenly. Lubing the rollers fixed the problem.

1 Like

did you host?

AT&T is absolute garbage. We switched carriers about two weeks ago and I get a bill in the mail today. They had cut through our phone line in August and I knew they wouldn’t credit me the time I was without service so I suspended my auto pay and changed it to have them send me a bill. Never billed me for August. Now September’s bill shows I’m late on payment and, as expected, no credit for the two weeks I was without service. I try online customer service but can only “chat” with a bot. So I call. I go through menus and “can only advance if you pay your late bill.” WTF. I stay on the line and agree to pay $0. Then sends me to the customer service queue. 40 minute wait but they’ll give call back. Okay, that’s actually nice. About two minutes later, get a call back. Routes to customer service and promptly disconnects. Go through process again. Finally get to customer service rep. She tells me that since I cancelled my service she can’t help until I get the final bill from them. I’m like, this bill has adjustments for the service cancellation on it. She says, yeah, but it doesn’t say final so it isn’t the actual final bill. Well, why did you send it? “We didn’t, the computer just printed it out.” What? So, will the final bill be adjusted for the two weeks I didn’t have service? “I can’t tell because your account has been closed.”

Rosh Hashanah? Yes. And I’m nearly done with the dishes.

Was preparing to cross the road at a crosswalk. There were 3 cars approaching from my left, all appearing to be traveling above the speed limit. I was waiting maybe 2 feet into the road: far enough that I wasn’t anywhere close to getting run over if/when they failed to stop, but enough into the road that they knew I wanted to cross. Usually it takes a few cars before one will actually stop for anyone in the crosswalk. I was clearly visible (no cars, bushes, etc blocking the view).

The nearest approaching car was a Tesla, and I presume the vehicle sensors spotted me late and instituted emergency braking as it suddenly came to a screeching halt. The car behind really had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting them. The 3rd vehicle was a larger commercial van, which then started fishtailing a bit and had to dodge to the right (in my direction) to avoid hitting the car in front. The Tesla driver sees the crazy van and punches the accelerator to GTFO before a chain accident.

Nobody got hit, but wtf. The crazy thing is that there’s a stop sign maybe 40-50 yards past the crosswalk so there’s no reason to be hauling ass right there unless you are going to blow through the stop sign too.

Maybe 5 minutes before this happened, I was crossing a busy road that has a “hawk light” that will change to a red light for pedestrians. Two cars blew through the red with me in the crosswalk. I am constantly annoyed by drivers in this city that have no regard for pedestrians in the crosswalk.

5 Likes

Sweet crap. That’s quite a mess! I always shudder when I have to call customer service at a large corporation.

1 Like

That almost fits in the “News that makes you say WTF” thread.

When I moved from an apartment without a dishwasher to an apartment with a dishwasher, I packed up the dishes dirty and washed them in the dishwasher in the new-to-me apartment.

1 Like

That reminds me of when we moved to Madison, WI. We often used the zebra crossings near the capitol and even if we were one of 20 people waiting to use the crossing, none of the cars would stop. My wife nearly got run over because she was used to Colorado and California traffic where they’ll stop for you when you’re not even in the crosswalk.

Birthday sex.

Why is it seen as mandatory?

Can have sex any other day of the year pretty much. Why is it expected on someone’s birthday?

Because this isn’t true for many people (even married).

So it became a thing as a comedy trope, along with getting sexual “treats” once a year.

only your wife can answer that. doesn’t seem universal at all.

1 Like
  1. I may have added 2 teaspoons of salt instead of my usual 1 to my bread dough this morning. If it rises after a couple of hours, then I’ll know it was only 1.

2. My printer is making these squeaking noises every time I print. That can’t be good.

A turnbuckle broke on my gate yesterday, and it sagged just enough to scrape the driveway. So I had to make an emergency run to Tractor Supply for a new one. The old one was rated at 1,100lb, which was double what I thought I’d need, so I suspect it was defective. Nonetheless, I replaced it with one rated for 1,800lb. Apply liberally.

Tractor supply company in Canada was always tsc. I’d never even heard of tractor supply company until I saw a store in the us.
Now they got bought out by Peavey mart and rebranded. What even is that, everyone knows tsc stores. Nobody knows Peavey mart.

1 Like