Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

As I was falling asleep last night, I thought of something I needed to do this morning. Pretty sure it was work-related. I repeated a few times to myself to try to make it stick. This morning, I remember the need to remember, but have no idea what the actual task was. That’s going to bug me.

1 Like

I hate it when I do that.

Tangentially related to work?:

Regardless, I hope your foot feels better and you remember what you forgot.

1 Like

Ouch!!

1 Like

Maybe annoyed thoughts, because I was pretty annoyed. I gave my brother both barrels on the phone last night for about 20 minutes.
He works 60-100 hours a week, year round. On call, frequently works long hours outside, hard physical labour year round - including 2am in february type of stuff He uses his personal vehicle primarily for work, without compensation, and he’s hauling concrete/pulling trailers etc so it’s very hard on the vehicle.
he makes sub $35K Can. per year. It’s obscene. And he’s been doing this for 15 years. He is totally getting screwed. Sure he likes the work, but he’s just getting raped by his employer.
His car broke down and needs expensive repairs. He can’t afford (no kidding) to repair it. So now he’s got a vehicle he can barely use for work, and can’t use personally.
So I blasted him. He’s 50, time to stop this. When his employer returns from a european vacation (grumble grumble), in a few weeks, I told him to tell them that he no longer has a personal vehicle availabe to them, because it’s broken and he can’t afford to replace it. So, let them figure out what to do. And then I told him he needs to ask for a raise, and tell them not $5K or $10K. He needs to be close to $70K plus a work vehicle. And, they won’t likely give this to him.
So I told him to go looking. Find another job doing similiar work at a gov’t entity. Make $70k, no personal vehicle use, 37.5 a week, weekends and evenings off, vacations, benefits, pension, etc.
That was delivered in no uncertain terms. At 50, time to stop being the guy who can’t repair his car over a $1500 bill.
then I texted him this morning and apologized for my tone, because I was pretty rough. I was definitely annoyed that he was putting up with this for so many years.

Anyway, he called me this morning, he’s had the epiphany I suggested, and he’s looking for other jobs and to re-evaluate.
Update: he emailed me, says he’s had conversations with two other similiar jobs already that pay 2-3 times what he’s making now plus include a company vehicle. He’s getting the right idea. The friction was worth it. I should probably call my mom and tell her I yelled at her second favourite son and got his ass in gear.

9 Likes

My flight status has been reported as delayed/on time/delayed. Hmmm

1 Like

Problem with the first airplane or flight crew, they located a second, now there’s a problem with the new airplane / flight crew.

I have 7 texts that alternately tell me the flight is delayed/not delayed. Oh just got an 8th, not delayed.

Eta 9th, delayed

2 Likes

At this point moving from annoyed to amused. Looking up best eateries at the airport

2 Likes

Yeah, I got nothing then.

What really irks me is when they give you the [red]ever-so-helpful advice[/red] to be sure to “call” ahead to check your flight status.

1 Like

Better hope you aren’t in NY. I hear that place is teh worst.

Don’t let ao_fan hear you say that!!!

Do you have lounge access? Might be worth it if you’re gonna be stuck for a while!

I don’t fly enough to have lounge access. We did have a decent lunch.

2 Likes

I smell burnt popcorn.

Maybe you had a stroke?

1 Like

Cart, kiosk, cart/kiosk.

I had some yummy garlic knots at LGA a few years ago, but that was before the do-over.

No, that’s burnt toast… this was most definitely popcorn.

:iatp:

RN