Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

We have one bathroom. I need to get ready for work. Someone is taking their sweet time doing the twosies in there.

Why do some men treat pooping like it’s a spa day? What are you all DOING in there?! I don’t actually want to know.

There are four dudes in this house now. Two will be teens before long. I’m about to get even less bathroom time to myself, I know.

1 Like

Time to add another bathroom?

1 Like

Some miralax in the sugar bowl is probably cheaper. It might affect the frequency severity balance though.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking in the couch cushions, but that $100k found a darn good hiding spot!

This sounds like something I would say after eating too much taco bell for dinner.

2 Likes

YMMV, depending on how the layout is and how easy or hard plumbing and electrical might be. I did do all of the design work myself, was my own GC, I did the paint etc. But I did a five piece bathroom for just over $40k.

Yeah, our neighbors had a bathroom put in a similar place to where we would (not many options with our catalog homes!), and the guy is super handy/typically does his own work on almost everything, and they still spent a lot, at least $30K. Another neighbor had a bathroom put in last year and did none of their own work, and it was $100K, so that’s my reference point.

We have no existing space to put it, other than the basement. So it would need to be an add-on to the house.

Catalog home? Wait, do you have a Sears house?

If you just hire a GC and essentially pay them a decent wage to be the PM for several months, it can definitely cost double.

1 Like

No room in the basement? That’s where added our 2nd full bathroom.

1 Like

Yeah, you definitely should start looking at either a full reno to the basement to add a couple bedrooms and a bathroom, or adding a small addition on with a bathroom and some living space. Basement is likely easier/cheaper.

We reno’ed our basement to make a huge bedroom/living space for my son, and there’s a seperate downstairs washroom they use. Best decision ever. He’s got his privacy, and no way am I sharing a bathroom with that stank. (it actually worked very well for us, as he has enough privacy that his gf has moved in. They have enough privacy that they’re happy and it’s incentivizing them to stay until they can afford a house.

1 Like

That tree looks familiar. I think we’ve had this conversation before! Yep, we have a Sears home. Our entire neighborhood was built in the early 1900’s and we have lots of catalog homes. None that looks exactly like ours, I think ours had an original owner that customized a lot, but lots of the homes in our neighborhood are duplicated all over. It’s pretty cool, to me.

The basement is wet, and unfinished. We COULD finish it, and hopefully will at some point, but I’m not sure if it will ever become true livable space.

Lots of homes like ours have a makeshift bathroom in the basement. It wasn’t uncommon for men to come home dirty from work, go through the side door to wash up in the utility sink and maybe a shower head in the corner. Ours doesn’t, but many others do.

Decent chance, I can be a tad forgetful.

Often called the Pittsburgh potty, we had plumbing for one but no evidence it was ever used. It was old galvanized crap and I cut it all out. It was right next to the furnace and water heater so not really usable. If you have a decent way to organize adding a bedroom or rec room or what-have you and a 3/4 or full bath, that’s probably the way to go. We did that, and it wasn’t crazy, I think around $3,500 to dig trenches in the slab to bury hot/cold and drains. It’s nothing too fancy down there but we touched up the one room that was finished and added laundry, a half bath, and an office, all for a little under $30k as I recall.

1 Like

Alright, you can come do the work for me and I’ll pay you in a quilt. Seems equal.

I never accept the first offer. A quilt and a six pack, and I get to use the new bathroom for shower beers.

I’m not local so I can’t help with contractors and what not but I’ve accumulated a decent amount of knowledge on where to buy nice interior doors and hardware and what not, and I’m happy to share all of that. I’ve learned a thing or two, often the hard way.

2 Likes

Why is the basement not a consideration?

When I was a kid my parents added a bathroom to a basement that did NOT have rough-ins. The plumber was proud that he hit the sewer line on his first attempt at drilling through the concrete floor and called my Dad over to show off his handiwork. He’d obviously done it a few times before.

It’s certainly a bigger hassle / more expense without rough ins though.

You can make the kids use the basement bathroom for showers and long poops unless it’s in use by someone else for that purpose.

ETA: Wait, wet as in leaking? Oooh, yeah, gotta get that fixed first if so.

Depends on what unfinished means. If the floor is finished, then wiring,. Lighting and drywall gets you there…plus probably some pita plumbing. A dehumidifier then makes it livable.
Cost isn’t cheap, but it’s the cheapest way to almost double your living space.

Not leaking, we’ve had it looked at to make sure there are no significant issues, just…the walls are often moist. It’s a common thing in our neighborhood and in houses this age. Any finishing would require a very large cost to remedy that, as otherwise we’d certainly be dealing with mold. And I’ve heard stories of people spending that money and it still causing issues.

We have cement floors, cement walls, and beams for ceilings where you can see all the wiring. I’m not sure how less finished it could be, except perhaps dirt floors? idk.

They now sell pre-sliced bread. (However, the practice was outlawed for 47 days in 1943).