Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

I put in a curbside pick up order for later today. Can’t do same day modifications. One of the items I’d accidentally clicked for delivery so it won’t be in my pick up order.

Was it the chikkinz??? Somebody no be happy if dere no chikkinz!!!

Eggs

My neighborhood is relatively old, with most of the houses built between 1925 and 1940. There are a lot of charming older houses. There are/were a handful of unremarkable houses built as infill from 1950-1970 that often get demolished for new construction.

However, lately developers are sometimes buying the charming older houses and demolishing them for McMansions. I noticed an absolutely gorgeous older house in great shape on the outside getting demolished down the street today (might have been in great shape on the inside too, but I haven’t been inside that house so I don’t know). This happened with another couple of houses nearby last year.

As an old house fan (and a century home owner) this makes me super sad. Here in Kansas, we have a lot of amazing old homes in small towns that won’t get saved. Just not enough money in these small towns to save them, and they are slowly decaying.

I’m annoyed with those of you that haven’t yet joined the RPS tournament. ← clicky clicky

1 Like

My town is full of holes, where houses are being torn down and replaced with larger ones. There’s a new house across the street from me, and two more being built on that block. It doesn’t matter whether the house was nice. If it wasn’t huge, odds are it’s a teardown.

same is about to start in my town. I got into a discussion with a guy who was stridently anti-mcMansion. I asked him what he meant. Basically it was anything he didn’t like that was bigger than he thinks a person needs. I don’t love them all, but some of the points he was against are things that are addressed in code for set back, height, and percent of lot covered by concrete/buildings.

at some point, I suspect the cost of properly expanding an existing house in good shape crosses a line and the teardown is easier/cleaner. For the city I live in now, I can see tons of houses that are seemingly fine but are bland, and their replacement won’t upset me. But I understand when “one of the good ones” just gets razed.

Even if you don’t want more space, and just want to upgrade the house, that can be the case. My town tore down the high school to build a new, slightly smaller high school, after determining that that would be cheaper than fixing all the issues with the existing building. One of the holes near me is a house being replaced by its owner (that is, the same family plans to move back after construction) by a house about the same size, but with a different floor plan, and a new foundation that is less likely to leak. In particular, the garage will be a little above grade, instead of a little below grade. I’m not sure what other changes they are making, but I was chatting with the builder who is doing the work, and he said most of the house he tore down was well-constructed.

my cab driver from LGA wasn’t wearing a mask. you no wear mask, you no get tip.

he’s lucky i didn’t report him to the authorities. it was a station wagon type car and the windows were weird and i had no idea how to open them, so i’m likely getting covid.

What makes you think he had covid?

i don’t know that part for sure, but there is a chance he had covid. he was coughing IN THE CAB.

If he was coughing in the cab with windows closed, there’s a good chance you are going to catch something (covid or something else) whether he was wearing a mask or not.

Then again, it’s a NYC cab, so your a priori risk of catching something has got to already be pretty high.

I was wearing an N95 mask, so hoping that was enough.

1 Like

That should help.

1 Like

When you get to the store, can’t you go inside and buy the missing item? Then return the other one when it comes via parcel service?

My local Target store has twelve (12!) curbside pick-up spots.

Who does curbside pickups these days (besides JFG, I guess)?

Most times I go there they are all empty. Yesterday, there was one (1) car there.

This COVID stuff sure made people lazy.

I do curbside pickup at Target most of the time. Not because I’m lazy so much as because if I go inside Target, they’ll get at least $200 more out of me than if I stick to curbside.

1 Like

Also, immunocompromised people, people with young children, people with very busy schedules, people who don’t want to waste time at a store if it’s not in stock, people with disabilities, people with social anxiety…

I think i’m more prone to over-buying on-line than in-person. It’s so easy…