Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

I’m good, thanks. I didn’t go all the way through. Insulation cushioned it and I was able to pull out before fully pushing though,

We are at the ER. Were told we would be discharged an hour ago. Why does it take so long?? I know there are reasons, like sick patients getting resource priority, but it’s annoying to be on this side of it.

6 Likes

ER: “Hurry up and wait.”. :frowning:

Returning to this: got an e-mail from the business that I alluded to. After ~2 months of them not responding to e-mails or phone calls, I dragged them on a review on Google. I thought they had earned every word of it.

Shockingly, that got an e-mail response in 24 hours. Not to apologize, not to say “hey, we saw the review, we’re really sorry we dropped the ball, we want to fix this.” It was “there’s been a misunderstanding, it would have been nice if we’d had a chance to respond before you wrote that, since you wrote that review we’re not interested in your business, you should find someone else.”

An e-mail response in the chain of e-mails where I was trying to get in touch with them, asking them what was going on and if they couldn’t respond I’d find someone else.

2 Likes

I had two calls off of google reviews last year.
One was an upscale pizza place. First place we’d been too in a long time, in between covid lockdowns. Tables were time limited, which we knew and were cognizant of. They seated us late, took our order late, then asked us to leave early WHILE MY SO WAS STILL EATING. C’mon, that’s not right. I noted this, the owner called us and gave us a certificate to try them again. Fair enough.
Next one, a local restaurant is being really shoddy on checking vaxx status at the door - they’re definitely not complying with the regs. Frankly if the regs say they’re required to check vaxx status at point of entry, and they actually ‘check’ it at the table by waving their hand and saying ‘eh, you’ve got your phone out, I trust you’, then I’m now sitting beside people that haven’t been vaxx checked - which I’m not prepared to do. The restuarant actually called me, but got disconnected. I called back and left a message, they never responded. I suspect they bought a bunch of reviews after that in order to bury mine.

My favourite review I’ve done so far (for a landfill site):
Disappointed in lack of bears.
Took the whole family to drop off our garbage and recycling for the week in the hope of seeing some dump bears. Easy in and out, staff were organized and helpful, garbage in one spot, recycling easy in another.
Unfortunately staff advised us that bears are there only like one day in 100. I’m no dump engineer, but maybe hire more bears?

3 Likes

People who want me to Google for allegedly annoying ads, so they can decide if they’re annoying or not.

1 Like

People who tell me something is annoying and expect me to go find it on my own

1 Like

Ok this is driving me crazy, perhaps in an old fart (annoyed thought) way. How is this different from “of which we were aware”? Maybe I’m missing something.

I read it not just as “we’d been told (and then promptly forgot and behaved exactly as we would if there was no time limit)” but if you know something and are cognizant of it then you’re making an effort to… maybe not rush, but certainly make a conscious effort to not dawdle.

Sometimes I get chatting with a friend at a restaurant and I forget to look at the menu and then I have to ask the server to come back and take my order later. Or I’m having trouble deciding so I agonize over my choice rather than just picking something that might be suboptimal.

If you’re cognizant of a time issue then you’re making a concerted effort to not do stuff like that which slows down the process. If you’re merely aware of it that doesn’t indicate any effort on your part to do what’s in your power to keep things moving. (The effort may or may not be there… it hasn’t been communicated one way or the other.)

At least, that’s how I’d interpret those two statements in the context of SL’d scenario. SL is making sure that we understand that they were intentionally trying to honor the time limit… not just that they knew of its existence. It’s a stronger statement than merely being aware.

2 Likes

Interesting thanks One explanation I read was that cognizant meant to be fully informed while aware was to have knowledge of.

In meetings I often hear “I’m cognizant off the fact that….” whereas a simple “i’m aware that…” will suffice. Perhaps it’s a stalling tactic to give the speaker an extra couple of seconds to figure out what they’re cognizant/aware of.

They told us the reservation was from 5 to 630. Seated at 520, asked to leave by 6.

If i hadn’t finished eating, i would have said, "no, my reservation was until 6:30”. It’s entirely possible the wait staff was confused and thought the reservation was until 6.

1 Like

Yeah, and I would have tacked on “and we were seated 20 minutes late” to that statement.

Agree that the staff probably forgot what time the reservation ended.

I would have said something like, “I know and I am fully cognizant of the fact that my reservation is until 6:30” – maybe even recited the Seinfeld reservations bit – as a stalling tactic to give my SO more time to finish chewing their meal.

I’d have done that if I though there was a misunderstanding, but it was clear the staff knew we had until 6"30. They asked us to leave because the next people were there and waiting early, and what was worse, my SO still had half a glass of wine and unfinished pizza - we were clearly still eating.

Restaurants here have been at 50% capacity for a long time. The way they work through that is they have dinner seating at specific intervals, so there’s no more come and stay til you’re done. You get assigned at 5, and you’re out by 6:30, and those parameters are known when you book a reservation. And we’re more than happy to work within those parameters, eat and get the hell out so they can seat someone else. But this was just over the top.

Similiarly, we had a meal last year at a steak house with the same parameters. We hit traffic, and showed up late. 7:30 came around and we had to skip coffee/desert and get the heck out because the next sitting was coming. Wait staff mentioned the timeframe, we boogalooed right out so that we weren’t overstaying our time. that one was on us, and we were happy to do so.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever done a meal at a place that requires reservations (which is different from showing up and being on a waiting list), much less reservations that cover a specific period of time.

Of course, I also live in the 'Po. We don’t do high-end places, or even high-end places as defined by 'Po standards.

Gee I don’t know if these places require reservations. My SO just won’t wait in line. 10 minute wait? NEXT RESTAURANT! So they make reservations anytime we go out.

1 Like

We are beginning the process of potty training. Always an adventure.

6 Likes

May the Lord be with you.

2 Likes

I have rage.

1 Like